• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Modem to Router to Switch to Switch help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoD_tattoo

So I have my connections as follows:

Modem to Asus Router to switch to switch. I have it setup like this as most of the house is hardwired.

So my issue is this. The computer on the last switch cannot see the server on the router. I have a home network setup simply using a workgroup. It works well, but only the machines that are on the router can see it. If I try from any machines on the switches, I cannot.

Help...:bang head

Asus RT-N56U, to a Belkin 5 port gig switch, to a netgear 5 port N router with all wireless turned off.

I'm guessing I will need to set the ip scheme on the netgear to the same as what the Asus is, but I think it is already. Any help would be appreciated.

Again, thank you for your help. It was a combo of several things, but I finally got it working.

The biggest thing was my wiring. I forgot that I had switched my wiring so that the 1st switch was simply getting internet straight from the modem bypassing the router. Once I plugged that back into the router, I was getting through all the way to the second router(switch). At the second router (switch) I turned off DHCP, and opened the NAT. Then I also had to take the cable out of WAN and pop it into any of the others and bingo.

So a bunch of little things added up to a big old pain. But finally got it sorted.

Again, thank you for your help. It was a combo of several things, but I finally got it working.

The biggest thing was my wiring. I forgot that I had switched my wiring so that the 1st switch was simply getting internet straight from the modem bypassing the router. Once I plugged that back into the router, I was getting through all the way to the second router(switch). At the second router (switch) I turned off DHCP, and opened the NAT. Then I also had to take the cable out of WAN and pop it into any of the others and bingo.

So a bunch of little things added up to a big old pain. But finally got it sorted.

either way, you needed to turn nat and DHCP off the netgear :) double natting is a pain.

If you plugged the second router into the switch with a normal cable you may be getting half duplex on it. A switch to switch connection should use a crossover cable (or in this case, a switch to switchport). If this isn't an issue, then the router or switch auto senses what cable type is used and is adjusting for the use of a normal cable.

Back