• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AdTrap

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wouldn't is be cheaper overall to just have a router you can run scripts and cronjobs on?
I have an old retired (DD)WRT54GS v.1 that automatically blocked ads. While that device is long in the tooth now. It blocked ads very effectively. Any router that has cron enabled/scripting. Can pretty much do what that does on one device. Having a routing appliance with over 64Megs of flash and 400Mhz+ is pretty common now.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ad_blocking
That is one example. It'll port over to most/**any of the *.wrt forks.

**You might be limited by how much storage memory you have available. It'll work, but in a limited fashion on hobbled devices.

I use a hosts file from here that effectively blocks just about every ad including youtube ads. That in combination with Noscript for Firefox pretty much ensures I never see an ad, ever. Granted it requires updating the host file occasionally but it's free, doesn't require any router fun and is something I have no problem doing for the two computers I use to view media online.

Setting up a router with DDWRT to block ads does pretty much the same thing for your household that the adtrap thing would do with the added benefit of not adding another device to your network. Going the router method is quite easy as is the hosts file method, saves some money and is available now.

I've looked at DD-WRT supported routers but I will also need an ADSL modem, and I can't find any place to buy a decent ADSL modem in this country (they only place to get them are from ISPs, and they give out cheap crappy ones that are very prone to failure), so I'm stuck with an all in one modem/router unit. I also can't find any all in one unit in this country that supports DD-WRT.

Often you change the settings on the router/modem combo to disable the routing features. You can then connect your own router to the modem. I did that with the combo unit Time Warner gave me as I was having a lot of issues with a slow network. Using my own router fixed it.

Often you change the settings on the router/modem combo to disable the routing features. You can then connect your own router to the modem. I did that with the combo unit Time Warner gave me as I was having a lot of issues with a slow network. Using my own router fixed it.

I have a TWC 'approved' Motorola combo modem.
NAPT mode to disabled, and to use my own appliance for DHCP. I went to the DHCP and set it to no.

Setting the device to disabled NAPT makes it a dumb modem. Then setting it to no DHCP, makes it where your device will hand out IP leases.

+1 to using your hosts file to block adds i have been doing it for years, i use a combination of a pre made one from HERE then whenever i find a new annoying ad i simply add it to the list, you will be amazed at how many ad companys there are to ad to the list.

while i dont block all ads because i believe the owners of the web site's have a right to be able to make some money from ads,i dont agree they should allow ads that are obtrusive,redirect you automatically,pester you, or work in some other malicious manner and there for i block them.

Back