• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7850 Heavy Stuttering

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hicksimus

So my Sapphire 7850 arrived in the mail today :D. I removed my Nvidia software in the proper fashion and have installed Catalyst 12.11(yes, I know it's beta, but I googled it and don't see anybody else with my issue).

But all is not going well. At first the fans were at 100% and I found that some fine person had barely plugged the 4 pin fan connector in. After fixing this I was able to happily push to 1150mhz on stock voltage and call it a day.

But then I launched Natural Selection 2. Every 10 seconds or so the game would begin to stutter, dropping from ~60fps to ~5(and not 5 with similar times between frames either). This is also met with sound stuttering. For those who overclock, it's the kind of sound you might get if your processor overclocking results in a game freezing(as I've never educated myself on this, I'll call it the farting sound). I thought it might be a Natural Selection issue so I moved to Planetside 2 but the issue persists. This issue may also occur while watching a video. I was watching some fraps footage before editing it and the video would stutter with the same audio issues. I've also had 2 blue screens.

I'm also no stranger to troubleshooting so I pulled the overclock and went back to default settings but I still have this issue. Does anybody happen to have had the same issue and want to share some knowledge? As it is I'm going to go clean the drivers off and go for some older ones after I re-seat the card.

Is this maybe just a Windows 8 vs. 12.11 thing?

You said it happens after you overclock. Does it stutter when you overclock?

If it happens on stock settings, Id definitely try newer drivers for Windows8 and see what happens and go from there. If it happens only when overclocked, well theres your problem. Try up'ing the voltage on the card using MSI Afterburner or the like if its unlocked or lower your clock speeds if you cant adjust voltage.

Thanks for the input, it was unrelated to overclocking. I should have omitted anything about overclocking to eliminate the confusion.

It would appear that between re-seating the card and using older non-beta drivers that the issue is fixed. Maybe it is intermittent, time will tell. Now back to my overclocking :mad:.

I dont play that game, but I didnt see any stuttering for our games suite using the 12.11 drivers...

Were you running Windows8 ED? I know that there really isnt much difference, but people see problems with certain driver versions even on the same OS depending upon hardware.

Good to hear a reseat/new drivers helped.

GAH.. missed the W8 detail there... No, we are on Windows 7 (shame on YOU for not knowing that! :p).

I do recall hearing this same issue though on W8 with the 12.11 betas.

Back