• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hyper 212+ included paste - any good?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

So I have a new Hyper 212+ waiting for my new FX-8320 to arrive and I'm wondering how good the included Cooler Master paste is. Has anyone used this included paste? Is it any good? I know that the Cooler Master thermalfusion 400 is good paste, but I don't know if that's what the included stuff is. I ordered a tube of AS5, but if the included Cooler Master paste is good then I might just sell/return the AS5. Anyone know how good this stuff is?

The paste is good. I used it. No worries.

BTW, AS5 is really outdated. Might want to look up info on that. Times have changed.

MX-4 is one, what I use but I don't build PCs all the time.

The paste is good. I used it. No worries.

BTW, AS5 is really outdated. Might want to look up info on that. Times have changed.

MX-4 is one, what I use but I don't build PCs all the time.

Yea... I was foolish and ordered the AS5 before really looking into it. I used in on my last build 5 years ago and I assumed it was still one of the best. Oops. After looking at reviews I regret spending the $10. It's almost not worth sending back to Newegg if I have to pay for shipping and restocking fee, but at least I'll probably get $7 back, lol.

Naa, it's still decent paste. There is better. Not foolish, just not up on the latest. We have surprisingly more than a few old timers a year do the same thing.

In fact, my MX-4 is outdated kinda, but I got a large tube a few years ago.

Honestly though... based on the reviews that I looked at even the lasted and greatest TIM is only a degree or two better than AS5. So for someone like me who's not going for an extreme OC, AS5 is probably just fine. But... as long as the Hyper 212+ included paste is good then I'll just return the AS5 and at least get a few dollars back.

Good to know, I have EVOs with the CM paste in it and was wondering the same thing.

Thanks a ton.

lol I still use ceramique from my old phase change chilled water days. Still have a bit left in tube I bought 4-5 yrs ago and have also purchased another one ( couldnt find original tube) I have tried the Phoyba paste as it was once listed as the best and it was on par with my ceramique.

On another note... what is the recommended way to apply thermal paste to an HDT heatsink? Seems like people have had good success with the two line method. I haven't been able to find any official information from Cooler Master.

HDT? I cover the bottom and scrape it off, that fills the gaps. Then I did the grain of rice method.

Just did this in Google. Lots of good hits.

HDT heatsink application

My pics, forgot I had them. I take pics of every build.

The filling results

IMG_0990.jpg

Too much, I always check on my first application

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0992.jpg

Final amount. It's MX-4.

IMG_0994.jpg

Then I put it on

Last edited:
funny my 212 came with those instructions Conumdrum just laid out but yeah fill-in gaps on heatsick scrape off (keeping grooves filled) then normal method you use to apply tim. either grain or spread. I have personally done both and have seen no differences in either way.

Thanks guys. I wasn't aware of the scraping method to fill the gaps between the heatpipes. That is helpful to know.

Wow, the thermal paste literally goes right on top the processor?

Learn something every day here, lol. Thanks, good to know.

Uh, never? I've always payed those websites to put em together for me, it's my first time, actually doing it by hand and not paying someone else.

HDT? I cover the bottom and scrape it off, that fills the gaps. Then I did the grain of rice method.

The filling results

IMG_0990.jpg

Too much, I always check on my first application

Then I put it on

Yup. That's about what it should look like. I actually put a small glop on the HS and then rub it around with my finger inside a plastic bag making sure I get the compound into all of the little gaps, then wipe it off with a coffee filter.

And I believe the middle dot 'grain of rice' method its what's recommended for current AMD cpus.

Back