• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Unsure how to make Win98SE and XP Pro Boot on same HDD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

primal51

Registered
i had to reformat my hdd a week ago and lost all my data, no problem, got back ups, but here is the problem:

i have win98se installed then i installed a fresh install of win xp pro into a different folder. therefore win98se=c:\windows winxppro=c:\winxppro my question is, how do i set it up for duel boot so that i can change into win98se and use my scanner? then change back into xp pro and do everything else?

When you installed Pro you should have had a dual boot automaticly set up. Are you shure that you did not UPGRADE from Win98 instead of INSTALLING WinXP.

I made 2 seperate partions. I installed 98se and then XP Pro. 98 is on the primary boot partion. The boot.ini file is on the root of the 98 drive. I dont think you cant dual boot from one partion. I hope this helps.

i read up on it on microsoft after i posted this, and found that you have to use seperate partitions to have dual boot. you first have to install 98 on one partition and then instal xp on the second afterwards. this lets you use the dual boot options... which is a waste of my time... because when i chaeck on my school pc they had it all on the one parition, so there must be a way

yeap, you need to install win98se first then XP. Goes for any NT OS[ NT 4.0, 2000, XP ]. I dont see why you would need two partiions, you should be able to install both OSs to one, but you would get better performance out of the two.

Does anyone know how to program the boot.ini so that it recognizes Win98SE? That should give me a boot screen with options to choose from.

boot into XP, right click on My Computer icon, and choose Properties...click on the Advanced tab, under Startup and Recovery click on the Settings tab...on System Startup, next to the "To edit the startup options file manually, clcik Edit" click the Edit button...this will let you edit the boot.ini file to give you the dual boot option you need...you may also want to try a program called System Commander 2001, which will let you toggle between the two w/o a reboot (suposedly, but it hangs quit often, I only ever used at at boot-up).

Back