• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

internal wireless card died

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

(G{in}[AK)TION]

my moms laptop has a dead wireless card in it. i found its a Ar5bxb63. ew, its an atheros wireless network adapter. and i even left their name in small caps. SO EAT THAT ATHEROS.

anyway, i am planning on replacing the wireless adapter with one of broadcoms isntead.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Broa...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item4abe1caf60

idk if i can get this one to fit....or if there is even enough wire lentgh to attach.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BroadCom-BC...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item3a783df6ed

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Broadco...US_Internal_Network_Cards&hash=item2a1df9acde

or should i go with intels wireless network adapters?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Computers-T...om=R40&_nkw=intel mini pci wireless N&_fscr=1

Nobody can advise you whether the wire length is sufficient without any idea what the laptop model is.

Why the hate for Atheros? Their chipsets (and Ralink's) have been by far the most reliable I've ever used.

If you ever plan to use Linux on the laptop, avoid Intel chipsets like the plague. Their drivers have been flaky for years, and they show no signs of fixing them.

If you ever plan to use Linux on the laptop, avoid Intel chipsets like the plague. Their drivers have been flaky for years, and they show no signs of fixing them.
it's broadcom not Intel that has the bad drivers.
IDK why you would think Intel has had driver for linux.

edit
I used 100's of Intel wifi cards on Linux systems and not one field to work 100% out of the box.
it's broadcom that I have problems with. so much I'll never bother buying one for a Linux system.

LOL what makes you think im installing linux on my moms netbook?

the netbook belongs to my mom who is already using windows xp on the netbook. the wireless card is whats broken and needs replacing.

Because I've had multiple models of them in multiple machines with the same problems (e.g. roaming to none). The only Broadcom chipsets I've used have been in routers, and they've been great with DD-WRT (which is Linux), so I doubt they're horrible, at least for hosts. In my personal experience, Intel is the only unreliable vendor.

ok what models? and what distros?
I used to many to recall and never had the prob, let alone the one your talking about.
90% of all Broadcom chips I used fail out of the box.
and 60% of them needs a different firmware or a broken 3rd party driver.

edit
why are you using the old iwlwifi driver?
thats old, use the new driver and/or a new kernel.

to OP
I'd just go with a Intel card, 90% of the time it will work out of the box.

Last edited:
There will be enough wire in the netbook to a replacement part, there is no need to fear.
Buy one from some where, chuck it in, install drivers, job done.

I doubt your mother even knows what Monitor Mode is :D

Intel 4965agN?
thats a nice one for 10$

What are you even talking about? iwlwifi IS the in-kernel driver, which was previously named iwlagn.

Are your on 2.6?

edit
keep in mind every distribution does things it's own way.
your distribution may still use the older iwlwifi driver. if that's the case (I'm betting it is) you should update.

Last edited:
No, I don't use Debian, they simply had the first convenient and short quotable statement.

You just don't get it.
There is a new iwlwifi driver, the problem you were having was from a supper old iwlwifi driver.
That problem has long been fixed. IIRC it's been fixed by the new iwlwifi driver added to 3.0.x-x (maybe 3.2.x-x)
Perhaps you should update?

nope.
nice try, don't be that way.
I'm on 3.6.7-5

Intel 4965AGN installation guide

ok i got the card but had a slight problem with the wires. i did find what the wires were in the end so here is how its done.

on the Intel 4965AGN, you will see conncetor 1, 3, and 2.

attach the white wire to connector 2 and the black wire to connector 3. do not worry if the grey wire is not present for connector 1.

after the wires have been connected, install the drivers by going to device manager, network connections, and right click "network controller" (with the ? next to it) and click properties. then go to driver, update driver and follow the on screen instructions (use find driver automatically).

once you have updated the driver you will not be able to use the Intel 4965AGN wireless network adatper.

Back