• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Marathon Benching Competition Rules

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I really stand by saying no sub ambient cooling and limit cores in multi-threaded CPU benchmarks. No math, fair, and simple. Or restructure the point of the 'competition' and make it a tweaking excersise. But when its a competition as its framed now, the point is to win. And its hard to win against $1K processors and the ability to go cold.

The GPU side is where one needs the matheseseses. :)

The math really isn't a big deal when you have excel. I spend more time typing than anything. Still open for suggestions. One other thing, at least from my perspective and first entering the Overclocktagon. I knew I wasn't going to win but seeing the possibilities with better cooling, I really do believe kept pushing me to the point where I finally went all out. I realize that's not in the cards for everyone but it can be an eye opener for those just starting out in this crazy rodeo.

what people need to see out of these comps we do- the fact that there are plenty of opportunities to learn how to tweak each specific bench. Many of them we dont know at all and can learn together. I see lots of help going back and forth on them. If you arent going cold yet, bet thing you can do is learn the tweaks while on clocks that you can maintain for long periods of time to get to know what each bench wants/what helps/what hurts, then worry about going cold
These are all about learning and having fun

can't believe I'm going to say this:D joking,but I agree with Joe 100% you post a benchmark for the month and we who's going to win 90% of the time.Half the guys don't even post at the bot or are not on our team.make it more competitive and then post a link at the bot and try to pull in some new blood

I'm just wondering how much further I can push my system past the 40% o/c that I have the CPU running steady on.
Would love to move onto more efficient cooling methods, heck even just building some sort of tray that would hold a block of dry ice in front of my intake fans might allow for more tweaking.

But competing against those with real hot rod rigs, and highspec cooling systems, while interesting and educational, does get a bit taxing/depressing after a while.

meh, not gonna quit TRYING tho.

OK I put something up in this months marathon as a per core/thread trial let me know what you think.

Explain how it works... for example, my result shows 26.08 with (not sure what to call it) secondary number of 3.26. Woomack just posted a score of 18.xx with a secondary number of 4.25.

How does that work as in, who would have the 'better' result between us? It seems like that second value is a matter of efficiency, but the formula doesn't seem to be complete because it doesn't take into account clocks? Not sure what it really means... :)

I am still of the mind that limiting cores and cooling would be the easiest and most fair. Those running Hex's/Octo's can just step down to the core/thread limit so they can still participate (can't do that at the bot but for the sake of an interforum comp....).

The idea was give a per thread score so simply score divided by threads. Woomack kind of threw it off but I knew it would happen. Hyperthreading doesn't give a one to one efficiency with an actual core.
I was just giving an illustration of how it might look. Limiting cores is not necessary but I think that HT would need to be turned off to get accurate results. AMD is a wash it'll strictly be core to core so the FX6xxx has a chance against the 8xxx.
can't do that at the bot but for the sake of an interforum comp....).

Actually they have been doing that at the bot lately with things like XTU WHBotprime and R15 in some of the OCeSports comps. It does help the i7 compete against the big dogs.
Luckily this is a rather short bench so if we choose to go with a per core scoring then they can easily be run again.

Limiting cores is not necessary but I think that HT would need to be turned off to get accurate results
That is one in the same really... My point was to say BEFORE the competion that (example ->) 4c/t is the max. If you have a 3770/4770/4790K/6700K/etc turn HT off. If you have a Hex/octo, you will have to do both to meet the requirements.

Don't change it in the middle (ok 5 days) into the competition!

Yeah the 4c limit could be viable, I was just saying that I don't mind doing some math but HT will only hurt the contestant. I guess I'm just a bit skewed from these comps at the bot. It doesn't matter if you use 2 cores or eight on an FX8350 your submission does the math and always divides your score by eight. i5 and i7 have different categories so that eliminates issues with HT. I realize we can't do that here AMD and Intel is enough. I could post something in the marathon thread and possibly get a vote to change it now, end of month or even never depends a bit on what people want I guess.

Perhaps consider just adding another Intel heading underneath the current one for competing with out HT for all Intel processors to allow running at native 8/6/4/2 core(s)?

What would that accomplish under the guise of making it fair for more people?

*sips caffeine... wipes eyes... re-reads, LOL*

If we just took HT out then I can do a /core scoring

There really is no safe number of cores but 1 or all. A G3258 wouldn't keep up with an i5

Back