• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel Says Company Committed to Sockets

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Intel supporting socketed CPUs for "foreseeable future"

Suck it, Internet rumors; Intel finally broke silence this morning telling Maximum PC that it would be offering socketed CPUs for the “foreseeable future.”

Intel CPU
intel_cpu_socket3.jpg

The statement should help calm the nerves of panicky enthusiasts who have been reading weeks of rumor stories saying the desktop PC would die along with interchangeable socketed-CPUs.

“Intel remains committed to the growing desktop enthusiast and channel markets, and will continue to offer socketed parts in the LGA package for the foreseeable future for our customers and the Enthusiast DIY market,” Intel spokesman Daniel Snyder told Maximum PC. “However, Intel cannot comment on specific long-term product roadmap plans at this time, but will disclose more details later per our normal communication process.”

The statement by Intel is rare considering the company doesn’t like to comment on unreleased product let alone unreleased products three years and three generations away. That shows how the rumors have continued to build in critical mass over the last few weeks.

You can read more about this at the source.

:salute:

+1.

Thanks for posting this up. We have no OFFICIALLY heard it from the Horse's mouth!

Thanks Hokie for posting it in the Haswell thread. :)

yay im so surprised that they arent going to soldered on cpu's. :rolleyes: i didnt even think about the situation twice to know they wouldnt be doing that anytime soon if they ever did it at all.

Well, I figured it wasn't true, I hoped it wasn't true and now we know it isn't true. Thanks for posting this even though I did not see it for awhile :D

Back