Kickstarter and Game Development: Highlighting Games Coming to Linux Part 5

Throughout this series we have discussed a few of the upcoming games for Linux, which have been funded in part or in whole, via the crowd sourcing website Kickstarter. In the previous articles, we spoke with various developers about their experience with both the Kickstarter initiative and supporting Linux. The one thing that most of those game studios have in common is that they have based their games on the Unity 3D game engine.
    ... Return to article to continue reading.
    Last edited by MattNo5ss; 12-07-12 at 04:23 PM.

Registered
    Folding Profile
    I love the idea but ... will we be getting driver support from AMD and Nvidia ?

Has slightly less legible writing
    than Thideras, Member
    10 Year Badge
    Benching Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Nice read, I worked on a project last year that wanted to use unity but went with a custom coded engine because unity lacked linux support. Im very happy to see this is going to be added in the coming version.

@Dmanstasiu
    nVidia worked hand in hand with Valve for the last linux driver release. That as far as I know was the first gamer oriented Linux driver from nVidia EVER. As Steam comes to bare on linux and other developers push further into *nix land I imagine AMD will finally get off there butts and start offering proper drivers.
    Life is what you make of it, we exist for the sole purpose of existing. Dont waste the universe efforts!
    All statements, imagery, and ideas contained within any signatures are merely retold tales of fictional acts by a figment of the universe imagination.

So your looking for an AMD FX motherboard, things you need to know. Whats the max safe temps/volts for an FX?

Green Gorilla, CM 690-II nVidia, FX 8320, GTX 670, liquid cooled
    Liquid Fusion, CM 690-II, A8+6670 Dual GFX, liquid cooled
    Extreme evaporative water loop 450mm^3 water cooled beast - Incomplete

Registered
    Folding Profile
    Glad to hear NVidia is working on it, at least. Hopefully AMD doesn't screw itself over

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior
    Alt OS Content Editor
    Author Profile Folding Profile Heatware Profile
    Things on the driver front are really picking up.

As for Unity3D, I have played a few of their games for linux and they work quite well. I have noted that the execute bit almost always has to be set before you can double click on the executable or else you get a dialogue indicating that Linux doesn't know what to do with the file. Its a minor thing, and overall it allows great titles to come to Linux easily!
    HEAT
    Those wishing to contribute to the AltOS section front page please PM me.

Leviathan41: "Playing with a controller because the mouse and keyboard is too easy is like racing with a bicycle because a car is too fast."

Chris Fisher "Windows is like Administration with training wheels"

10 Year Badge
    Unity Web Player is the used by my youngest son's favorite game Monkey Quest. It crashes so often on my PC (Windows 7 x64) that I've given up playing with him. So far I am less than impressed with the web version of the engine. Hopefully it runs better on Linux.
    System: ASRock P67 Extreme6, i7-2600k @ 4.6 GHz, 16GiB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600, Galaxy GTX 570 & EVGA GTX570 in SLI @ stock, 120GB Corsair F120 SSD for Win 7 Pro x64, WD Caviar Black 1 TB for everything else, Lite-On Dual layer DVDRW, Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 1200W PSU, CM690 II advanced case.
    Accessories: ACER 23" WS LCD + ACER 21" WS for web/TS/etc. DIY 4-way monitor stand. Logitech G35 headset, Idelazon Fang keypad, Logitech G9 mouse, Zalman FPS Gun mouse, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick, momo racing wheel w/ pedals.
    Water Cooling : Replumbed to one single loop. Apogee GTZ CPU block, MCR220 w/ 2x Panaflo 120x38 'M's, MCR220 w/ 2x Panaflo 120x38 'H's, MCP350 w/ bored over Alphacoool top. MCP220 drive with second MCP350 in series w/first. 2x MCW60 GPU blocks Temps: TBD

Blackbelt Ubercloxx0r My Current Rig My First WC Rig DIY Nvidia Surround Setup