• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i5-3570k High Stock Voltage?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SpenceSouth

Registered
So I just picked up a i5-3570k that I am using with a Gigabyte Z77-DS3H. I am not overclocked or anything like that, but I noticed that my vcore hits 1.361 under full load and 1.224v idle. From what I have read this seems pretty high to me. Should I be concerned about this or is this acceptable with an Ivy Bridge processor?

A little fluctuation is quite normal, but that seems like quite a bit, especially considering you're at stock. What model is your power supply? Anyone else seen fluctuation this drastic?

A little fluctuation is quite normal, but that seems like quite a bit, especially considering you're at stock. What model is your power supply? Anyone else seen fluctuation this drastic?

I have a Corsair Builder Series CX600 V2. It has had a little bit of coil whine lately so I am about to RMA it.

Here is my full setup if it helps any:
i5-3570K
Gigabyte Z77-DS3H
Hyper 212
16GB G. Skills 1600MHZ DDR3 RAM
GTX 460 (OC @ 763mhz)

That's not a bad PSU, although if its performance is degrading, it could be causing problems?

I just checked and my typical voltage fluctuations are +/- 0.008V in the yellow build in my sig.

1.361 isn't that high, but I would be concerned that it's jumping around that much.

Have you messed with LLC at all? I would clear CMOS, test it at stock settings, then try different LLC settings and see if your results change.

I haven't messed around with the LLC or any of the other voltage settings. I'll give your suggestions a try, but do you think I could be looking a defect in the motherboard or processor?

From other posts I've seen, that voltage level is only reached by people who are getting pretty high overclocks.

The Vcore is so high because it's set to Auto in the UEFI. Because the UEFI has to be able to accommodate any and all build scenarios, including the available max. Turbo frequency of 3.8GHz for the 3570K (4 bins above 3.4GHz), the Auto setting auto-adjusts the Vcore to a level that's normally considerably higher than what's actually required for stability. Try manually adjusting the Vcore to ~1.20V, and then run Prime, LinX, IBT, or OCCT to check for stability at the lower Vcore, while monitoring the core temp's w/ either Core Temp or Real Temp.

The Vcore is so high because it's set to Auto in the UEFI. Because the UEFI has to be able to accommodate any and all build scenarios, including the available max. Turbo frequency of 3.8GHz for the 3570K (4 bins above 3.4GHz), the Auto setting auto-adjusts the Vcore to a level that's normally considerably higher than what's actually required for stability. Try manually adjusting the Vcore to ~1.20V, and then run Prime, LinX, IBT, or OCCT to check for stability at the lower Vcore, while monitoring the core temp's w/ either Core Temp or Real Temp.

Unfortunately with this motherboard I can't manually adjust the Vcore.

:D
Unfortunately with this motherboard I can't manually adjust the Vcore.

I'm finding multiple complaints concerning this board's unstable voltages in reviews and similar threads. Does it have a "Low" or "Normal" LLC option? I also thought this board had a setting that allowed you to enable manual (Or at least offset) voltage control somewhere? I might be mistaken, only personally worked with it once for a few moments (All I had to do with it was clear cmos and jingle a few wires for a customer)

As long as it isn't hurting stability, those voltages aren't dangerous :D

Edit: I remember now, this is the board that promises "ABSOLUTE VOLTAGE CONTROL" and actually removed most of the basic voltage settings, correct? Does it have any voltage control? Also, does it have any new BIOS revisions? I'm told it should have vcore control for IVB at the very least with newest BIOS :(

:D

I'm finding multiple complaints concerning this board's unstable voltages in reviews and similar threads. Does it have a "Low" or "Normal" LLC option? I also thought this board had a setting that allowed you to enable manual (Or at least offset) voltage control somewhere? I might be mistaken, only personally worked with it once for a few moments (All I had to do with it was clear cmos and jingle a few wires for a customer)

As long as it isn't hurting stability, those voltages aren't dangerous :D

Edit: I remember now, this is the board that promises "ABSOLUTE VOLTAGE CONTROL" and actually removed most of the basic voltage settings, correct? Does it have any voltage control? Also, does it have any new BIOS revisions? I'm told it should have vcore control for IVB at the very least with newest BIOS :(

Actually I can't find a LLC option at all.

The only voltage controls I can find are you CPU VTT, CPU PLL, IMC, and DRAM Voltage. Each has an Auto option, Normal option, and a range of adjustable values.

I'm relieved to hear that these voltages aren't dangerous though. I'll try to find a BIOS update and get back to you with my results.

Actually I can't find a LLC option at all.

The only voltage controls I can find are you CPU VTT, CPU PLL, IMC, and DRAM Voltage. Each has an Auto option, Normal option, and a range of adjustable values.

I'm relieved to hear that these voltages aren't dangerous though. I'll try to find a BIOS update and get back to you with my results.

Ah, well no LLC limits your OCing ability later, but so does no vcore option haha. I'm told the newest BIOS adds a vcore control for Ivy Bridge on that board, but I can't personally confirm that :(

Ah, well no LLC limits your OCing ability later, but so does no vcore option haha. I'm told the newest BIOS adds a vcore control for Ivy Bridge on that board, but I can't personally confirm that :(

Just installed the latest BIOS (F9 according to Gigabyte) and there is still no Vcore :/

A little frustrating I can't tune it down a little, but if the general consensus is that my voltage is considered safe for prolong use then I can live with it.

Just installed the latest BIOS (F9 according to Gigabyte) and there is still no Vcore :/

A little frustrating I can't tune it down a little, but if the general consensus is that my voltage is considered safe for prolong use then I can live with it.

That sucks. You might be able to slightly lower PLL and VTT if you're worried about the longetivity (Or temps perhaps) of your CPU, but yeah, I wouldn't fret too much-- These IVB chips are a lot tougher than they seem :D

I've got the same motherboard and cpu.I tried to change the multiplier and in bios it remained how i set it, but when i logged in windows, it changed to stock.I restarted and in the bios was still how I set it.I managed to get it changed by removing the bios battery and putting it back, but now, my voltage is 1.152-1.332,with 4.2ghz,in iddle.I tried to set the voltage at 1.205, then pressed f10,saved and restarted.In CPU-Z it shows the same voltage : 1.152-1.332 in iddle and 1.3... in full load.How can I make it stay at the voltage I want?I tried with all power saving features off, and on, and some off and some on.Nothing works.Any ideeas?I've got the latest beta driver for mbo.

Back