• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Amazon collecting state tax grrrr

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

GoD_tattoo

LINKY

Amazon will begin collecting Massachusetts state taxes beginning next year. Sucks for us. Looks like I'll be finding a new online store. I almost feel like Amazon gave in too easy. They could have very easily not given in as they are yet to have a physical store. They could have fought more. I guess in the end they don't really have a dog in the fight unless they start seeing losses due to people buying from places that are yet to charge sales tax.

Just a heads up, once it starts, it's like a snowball going downhill. Other states will join soon I'm sure.

Woo lets hear it for Michigan !

No, but srysly that sucks, accounting for taxes in builds is a pain

California voted to require sales tax from businesses that sell into california regardless of whether they have a physical presence.
It really makes sense these days, if you sit down and think about it.

I've become more selective in my buying due to tax being collected now by Amazon. In a way its good for me but bad for seller.

Woo lets hear it for Michigan !

No, but srysly that sucks, accounting for taxes in builds is a pain

(-1 our weather sucks for living but good for benching so hmmm.... +2)

thats not good i get my school books on there and when paying 100s i dont want to pay 6% tax!

Here it's like 6.25%, so when spending a lot, it adds up. If I can get it elsewhere without paying tax, it ends up being a lot of money.

These why I stopped using Amazon they charge st tax of 8.25% a while back

And now that Circuit City is going to merge with tigerDirect there going charge taxes as well next yr also since TG already does :(

It is amazing to me how the Commerce Clause of the U.S. Constitution gets re-interpreted time and again to the taxing benefit of government, not the tax relief of the general population. Funny how that works....

Now that more and more people prefer to shop online vs brick and mortar stores, charging sales tax for purchases from online retailers unfortunately makes sense. They (Gov) get less and less revenue from traditional stores so it has to be made up somewhere. I'm actually surprised this has remain localized to so few localities. I suppose the rest will be following soon.

6% tax? not bad.
12% tax for me up in western canada

But that is bad. 12%, 6% both bad. The government is too large. Way to large. It shouldn't be this way. The government shouldn't regulate every aspect of our lives. But that is a discussion for another forum.

Yeah, let's stay from politics side please.

Personally, I don't see this tax as an issue and think that online purchases should be taxed. :shrug:

Its okay, I just end up buying 2nd hand items on pretty much everything except clothes now.

In UK we pay 20% tax on all "non essential" items regardless of the purchase method.

as an outsider i find the US tax system weird that you can orderstuff online and not pay tax as long as the company doesn't have a building in that state :S , or am I miss understanding how it works?

Hey GT if you agree to pay my 20% VAT here in the UK buddy, i will pay your 6% at your end and i will be 14% in the pocket! AJ. :facepalm: :santa:

p.s. Paying any tax really is not to good if does not benefit the people. :shrug:

That's exactly how it works. Or worked, anyway. More and more states are charging sales tax regardless of whether there is a building in the state.

as an outsider i find the US tax system weird that you can orderstuff online and not pay tax as long as the company doesn't have a building in that state :S , or am I miss understanding how it works?
That is how it works. The only ones that currently pay taxes are people that live in the same state as company headquarters or (I believe) where they have a presence (such as a warehouse).

You are supposed to report the purchases on your annual tax statement and pay the sales tax then, but the government has almost no way to enforce this. It's called a use tax.

Back