• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Avira 13.0.0.2890 takes away the option to disable Product Updates, so stay with

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
EDIT 2015: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...tall-2015-freeware-antivirus-Avira-version-15

...so stay with v13.0.0.2832.

EDIT: THIS IS A 2012 THREAD THAT'S BEEN BUMPED UP because in the middle of 2014 Avira disabled version 13 updates (Old version 12 is compatible with Windows 7 but not Windows 8 -- install version 14 or later for Windows 8 compatibility.)

In the past we've established that Avira Antivirus has excellent post-zero day definitions, beating many (most) definitions of pay-for Anti-virus programs. But... you have to install it in a specific way, etc. etc. Anyway, the just released v13.0.0.2890 takes away the option to disable Product Updates.

Avirav13.0.0.2832.png
Avirav13.0.0.2890.png

To clarify, Avira definition updates could be automatic even if Avira product update was disabled. It was important to disable automatic product updates so that we can update the product version only after we back up our operating system, in case the new product version disables it.

We know for a fact that Antivirus program updates can be released with no testing in the past because some bugs were evident on the first run, on every machine. Our friend's and family's Windows XP machines in particular [Windows XP was the dominant operating system in the world until recently, it is officially supported by Microsoft until second half of 2014] - was wrecked by automatic product updates in the past.

So make sure to stay with v13.0.0.2832 or else risk an auto product update disabling your machine when you need the most, not to mention if this happens on friend's/family computers. :rolleyes:

Search for old version 13.0.0.2832, it appears to be still hosted in few places. It is a 101 MB (106,024,808 bytes) setup file.

Avira AntiVir Personal 13.0.0.2832

[Follow-up Build 2890 does not have the option to disable product updates. It is important to disable automatic product updates (but leave definition updates ON). Product updates may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

Disconnect Internet connection. Double click on Setup.exe to install the program.
Ignore Avira's warnings to uninstall Comodo Firewall or similar programs which intercept phone-home attempts.

SELECT: Custom and CHECK: I accept the End User License Agreement > Next >

UNCHECK everything when asked to install Avira Toolbars > Next > Next > Next > Next

Welcome to the Configuration Wizard > Next > Next >

Allow the configuration wizard to keep the default Express Setup options. [Do not Select All.]
(UNCHECK: Application, Games, Jokes, Programs that violate the private domain, and Unusual runtime compression.) > Next > Next >

UNCHECK: Performs a quick systems scan after the installation

Next > Finish >

*ABORT any update process when it automatically pops up!* (If you haven't disconnected Internet connection as instructed above.)

Setup the program before connecting to the internet [then block apnstub.exe and ipmgui.exe from accessing the internet].

Subscription to new virus definitions for this program is renewed automatically through product updates. It is not renewed through virus definition updates. If product updates are disabled in order to prevent installation of a newer version of the program, download the latest key file from

http://dl2.avgate.net/down/windows/hbedv.key

and either copy it to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop
and restart or go to Help > License management > click on the blue hbedv.key link > browse to the new downloaded hbedv.key > Open.

Options:
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avcenter.exe

System Scanner (upper left) > Configuration (upper right) > Yes >
UNCHECK: Follow symbolic links (on right) > System Scanner > Scan > Action on detection >
Set for Automatic, Primary action: Ignore [if you want to just scan folders and get a scan report without deleting files or being prompted what to do if virii/malware are found.]

> Click on + next to Update > Product Update > Do not download product updates.
[This option is only for Avira Antivir product updates (Antivirus definitions will still be downloaded automatically.) Product updates should be downloaded manually by going to Update > Start product update... because they may affect the Windows operating system. They should preferably be downloaded only *after* imaging the operating system partition so that if they cause problems you can reimage back to the state before product updates were installed.]

> General > Security >
Disable being notified every time USB drive has an AUTORUN.INF file:
UNCHECK: Block autorun function
> General > Events > Select: Limit size to max. >
> General > Reports > Select: Limit number to max. >
> General > Alerts > UNCHECK everything except Dial-up connection is used

> OK

> Scheduler [on lower left] > UNCHECK everything.

Set Avira Free Antivirus to Always show in Windows Taskbar.

To disable Notifier nag screen: Windows 2000/XP Control Panel > [in Windows 7/8, click on (view by Category) System and Security first] > Administrative Tools [fourth from bottom] > Local Security Policy > Right click on Software Restriction Policies > Create New Policies SO THAT ADDITIONAL RULES SHOWS UP UNDERNEATH > Right click on Additional Rules > New Path Rule... > Browse... to the path of avnotify.exe default is
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
or
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe

> Set the security level to Disallowed > OK

Also block these two files from accessing the internet, using Comodo Firewall or similar software:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files (x86)\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

or

C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\apnstub.exe
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\ipmgui.exe

For Windows XP Home or Windows 8 (non-Pro version) you would need to boot into Safe Mode and log in as Administrator, then
go to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\avnotify.exe
and right click on it >
Properties > Security TAB >
[Under Group or usernames] SYSTEM > Edit button > CHECK: Deny for Read & execute > Apply > OK > OK

Make sure SYSTEM is set to Deny for Read & execute before rebooting.

To submit a suspected virus, go to
http://analysis.avira.com/samples/
to upload it.

You can scan multiple drives inside program options: Local Protection > Scanner > CHECK drives you wish to scan. The premium version also offers the option to scan multiple folders here. The free version does not.

In case of error message:

The procedure entry point ?_Xbad@tr1@std@@YAX4error_type@regex_constants@12@@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library MSVCP90.dll

download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 SP1 Redistributable Package
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...FamilyID=a5c84275-3b97-4ab7-a40d-3802b2af5fc2

Manual updates can be downloaded from:
http://dl.antivir.de/down/vdf/ivdf_fusebundle_nt_en.zip
Unzip the downloaded file and copy all the contents to
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir Desktop

Using two Antivirus programs at the same time:
If there are two Antivirus programs installed, you should not have two Antivirus *Guard* programs active at the same time because this would slow the system down, Windows may even have problems booting with two Antivirus guard components being active. So if installing AntiVir on a system where there already is an Antivirus program installed, do not install AntiVir guard.

Also disable the guard component of one program if using another program to scan an entire disk drive.

Default log file location is
C:\ProgramData\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES
or
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir Desktop\LOGFILES

For older versions:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic\LOGFILES
C:\Program Files\Avira\AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic
or
C:\Program Files\Avira AntiVir Personal\
C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Avira AntiVir Personal\LOGFILES

Last edited:
Sorry, Windows UPDATE, not support.

Microsoft Update will officially be available with latest security updates until second half of 2014, we are in 2012, so a long time from now. Grandma and most friends/family need nothing more ;)

I personally will take Windows XP off my multi-boot only if some future Windows 3000 offers complete Windows XP GUI an an option :)

This is the link that matters:
support.microsoft.com/lifecycle/?ln=en-gb&c2=1173

Attachments

• WinXPSupport2014.png
    WinXPSupport2014.png
    39.6 KB · Views: 3,731
So if you are able to find a copy of version 13.0.0.2832, then you don't need to go through all the trouble? Just install, disable product updates, and good to go?

2832 build is the last to give you an OPTION to disable product updates.

Avira freeware has excellent definitions that beat many pay-for anti-virus programs and definitely beats all other freeware anti-virus software but that comes at a price that you can't just install and be good to go. You need to disable the nags, etc.

Most importantly, I would allow the initial configuration wizard to keep the default suggested Express Setup options. [Do not Select All.] Do not CHECK: Application, Games, Jokes, Programs that violate the private domain, and Unusual runtime compression.

I believe pay-for version of Avira has no nags and the free version has windows pop up from time to time urging you to switch from free version to professional version.

Properly setup, there are no issues running Avira. Disabling product updates simply guarantees that. Having product updates on, would mean that there is a chance that when you most need it, you won't be able to use your system because a new product update contained a major OS-affecting bug.

This has happened to many anti-virus software. Although it never happened on Vista/7/8 versions of Avira, there was a Windows XP killer bug, which messed up Windows XP.

It is just generally a good idea to allow definition updates to occur regularly but program updates, really any product updates including Patch Tuesday Windows OS updates, should only be done after imaging your OS partition, that way when, and it is a when not if, something goes wrong, you can go back and identify the culprit.

c627627, I've wondered for a while about something.

Aren't you crippling the heuristics function of the anti-virus program by not using the most up-to-date version? Definition quality is very important, granted, but heuristics are an important safety net when all else fails.

Good question and you are correct: Absolutely the latest version has advantages in terms of improvements their developers came up with.

However, recall that when the Windows XP destroyer update was released by Avira, every single secondary/family/friends computer failed. That was a nightmare in which every single person in your friends/family circle immediately called - they had no computers to use!

It showed that Avira and many other companies can insert a change into a new product version with no testing whatsover, and there was no announcement that there were consequences for whoever was responsible, there was no announcement that "from now on" they will test each new product version or anything similar.

So concern over the mere likelihood of this happening again is so huge, that I can't have neither mine nor someone else's computers be rendered inoperable at times when they needed it the most, you know how it goes, there are times when you can't get to all of them and their systems are crippled. It happened when Avira released a product update which killed all Windows XP machines. To Avira's credit, this did not happen on Vista/7/8 ever, while some of their competitors had this happen to them on their versions for Vista/7/8.

In any case, conscious choice was made to have the latest post-zero day definitions downloaded regularly through definition updates so that all users are protected better than they would be using MSE or any other freeware anti-virus program or most if not almost all pay-for anti-virus programs.... but at the same time to take the risk of not having the latest features of the latest product version which may come at the cost of the entire system crashing down because these people don't have the common wisdom to run a new product version on a test machine before releasing it into the wild through automatic updates. Automatic product updates are now mandatory and cannot be turned off in new versions of Avira's software. v13.0.0.2832 is the last version which allows us to have definition updates without product updates.

Last edited:
You make a very convincing point. While it's a different program, Kaspersky does mess up a lot of things with it's heuristics anyways, so perhaps the loss is worth it.

Could you please post the md5 value of your install file, so I can check the one I found? That should work nicely.

Avira won't push through definitions updates without updating the product version now.

Thank you for reporting this micjmac.

I am experimenting now and will post later. I can confirm that this is correct on Windows 8.0. It no longer updates.

I will test this on other three OS I have but I just started my old computer which has an even older version 10 on it and it is updating fine. So after I'm done, I'll post what's what because I have multiple operating systems in the house.

EDIT: It is operating system independent. It has to do with versions. Version 10 and 12 work (There was no version 11).

So, first of all, for Windows 8.1, none of this applies, because Windows 8.1 is not compatible with any of the old versions anyway.
But if you want to use the old versions on Windows 8.0 or earlier, you have to downgrade to version 12.

Next I will experiment with initial versions 13, just to see if all versions 13 are affected or just the last version where product updates can be disabled, v13.0.0.2832.

Last edited:
OK - so here's the deal: all version 13s are affected - updates for version 13s are no longer available on any version of Windows. Version 12 still works.

So:
1. If you have Windows 8.1, this is all irrelevant because only version 14 and later is compatible with Windows 8.1.

2. If you have Windows 8.0, only version 13 and later is compatible with Windows 8.0.

3. So only if you have Windows 7 or earlier, then you have an option to have Avira with product updates disabled / definitions enabled only if you install version 12 or earlier.

12.0.0.1199 is the last version 12.

Of course you can manually update version 13.0.0.2832 but who wants to do that all the time?

Thanks for posting this micjmac.
Because I am on Windows 8.0, I think I will opt to downgrade to version 12 rather than risk a future product update mess up my Windows when I most need it.
EDIT: Version 12 is incompatible with Windows 8 - only Windows 7 or earlier.
When I buy a new computer in a couple of years, or when Windows 9 comes out, I guess I'll have to go with latest version of Avira then.

Last edited:
No problem. I ended up just updating to the most current version. I imaged my drive before the update just to be safe.

Yes, I am doing that too just now. Version 12 is incompatible with Windows 8.0 - it only works on Windows 7 or earlier.
They won. Product upgrades are mandatory now, until we can find better antivirus freeware.

EDIT: To their credit they actually got rid of completely some of the stuff we had to block in earlier versions, and Avira never had an incident in Vista/7/8 whereas their competition did mess things up more often then Avira. The installation of latest version 14 went a lot smoother and easier then earlier versions too. On
Windows 7/XP, you could pretty much just install version 12 over version 13 and it would downgrade with keeping all your settings.

EDIT 2015: http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...tall-2015-freeware-antivirus-Avira-version-15

Last edited:
Back