• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nexus 4 won't turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'll let my wife test it out. I'm still holding out for an LTE Nexus. I'm jealous of the kids iphone 5 with speeds of 28-30 mb down and over 11 up. See what HTC comes out with this month, along with what comes out at Mobile World in Spain. Tempted to get an Unlocked Optimus G still which is pretty much the N4 with LTE and crappy skin.

On my Nexus 4 in the metro NYC area, I can get 25mbps down and 3 up. That's plenty for me.

The glass is prone to scratches. I noticed one on the back a day or two later, not sure if it shipped with it or not. I got this case and I can't complain for $10. My screen is scratch free and I don't use a screen protector.

I can say I'm not impressed with gorilla glass. These phones use gorilla glass 2, and without a case or screen protector, they are very prone to "leaks", or some word like that which means very tiny little scratches. I always make sure my keys get no where near my phone, and I don't put change or anything else abrasive in the same pocket as my phone. Still got em.

The screen can handle razor blades without scratches.

sand is the worst enemy of gorilla glass

I might rename the thread to "Let's talk about how amazing the Nexus 4 is".

Any suggestions for a holster? I normally stick to Seidio, but it looks like their only one requires a case to go along with it.

EDIT: Guess I should talk about the phone then. I've used this thing for a total of around 10 minutes and my Bionic feels like junk now.

The screen can handle razor blades without scratches.

sand is the worst enemy of gorilla glass

I could see that being tested, however razor blades are not a very realistic use case. I know that I carried my first one in my pocket, didn't expose it to any abuse, but by the time I had to RMA it after having it for a month the screen already had tiny little scratches you could see if held at the right angle.

Basically, carry it around in your pocket, don't drop it for a month, then hold it up at various angles in the light and I'd be VERY surprised if there aren't very small surface scratches.

I could see that being tested, however razor blades are not a very realistic use case. I know that I carried my first one in my pocket, didn't expose it to any abuse, but by the time I had to RMA it after having it for a month the screen already had tiny little scratches you could see if held at the right angle.

Basically, carry it around in your pocket, don't drop it for a month, then hold it up at various angles in the light and I'd be VERY surprised if there aren't very small surface scratches.
We need some more information to determine how those scratches have occured. Do you wear skinny jeans? ;)

Check out some nexus 4 scratch test videos. Metal found in keys and change as well as razor blades isn't hard enough but apparently the quartz in sand is.

That's all well and good, and I may not care my computer parts are smothered in petroleum jelly, but I'm a good 'ol regular consumer when it comes to my phone... I don't care if its keys, screwdrivers, sand, or pixie dust. Ya pixie dust, I put that stuff on everything. In my opinion the Nexus 4 doesn't have many downsides, but one of the downsides it has, and any phone using gorilla glass in my opinion, is that it gets tiny scratches pretty easily.

It isn't just me either. And it happens in regular usage, for people that don't live near beaches or carry quartz dust in their pockets...

http://blogs.computerworld.com/android/21701/nexus-4-revisited

Despite the fact that I'm absurdly careful with my devices -- and haven't ever dropped my Nexus 4 -- I recently noticed a couple of ever-so-small hairline scratches on the phone's back glass panel. They're the types of things most people probably wouldn't notice (even after I pointed them out to my fiancée, she struggled to see them or understand why I cared), but they absolutely bug the hell out of me.

http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-nexus-4-second-opinion

After a week of normal use, the back of my Nexus 4 had picked up one or two hairline scratches. So has the back of Phil's review unit.

http://www.androidcentral.com/nexus-4-two-months

In two months of normal use it’s accumulated its share of scrapes, with the glass back panel bearing the brunt of the damage. Use it without a case, and the back is going to scratch, even if you’re extremely careful. In my case, the top section of the rear glass is peppered with hairline scratches, in much the same way as the back of a well-used iPod Classic. Fortunately the darkness of the glass and the reflective pattern make these scratches difficult to see most of the time. But they’re there, and you know they’re there.

Not a big deal or a deal breaker really, but a screen protector is probably highly advised if you can tolerate 'em.

Yeah regardless how strong new screens seem I'll always use screen protectors. Even more inclined to do so now that you've brought this up IMOG. And I'm glad the case I bought covers the back as well; so none of the glass on my device should be scratched at all. =D. Thanks for the heads up.

I just hate applying the damn screen protectors... If there's one first world problem that's a major burden it's those damned screen protectors haha. :p

yea my last few phones with gorilla glass get little scratches in the screen, i dont use a screen protector, but id take these little scratches over the crap my old xenon got lol those old plastic touch screens would be ruined if you looked at it wrong.

the screen on my galaxy nexus got real scratched up really quick, but the screen on my galaxy s3, which i believe is gorilla glass2, has dealt with my dirty pockets for probably 3 months now, with very little noticeable scratching

Got my Nexus 4. I bungled and did SO not realize it required a MicroSim. So I had to get that fixed up before using it haha.

But I had it all setup beforehand using it like a tablet. I love it but... one MAJOR gripe. Battery life is TERRIBLE?! Maybe it's my unit?! 4 hours (albeit rather frequent use, messaging, updating, downloading) and I'm down to less than 40% from a full-off charge? What?

I also dropped it already accidentally straight onto tile floor... Oops. Left a nasty little scuff on the chrome accent. But screen/back is untouched. Got my screen protector on; left the stock back one on until I get my case (waiting for it in the mail).

Performance wise I love it; responsiveness is great.. I love everything about it (few gripes with the UI for some things, but nothing I won't get used to).. Though how it handles contacts is annoying to me, but that's just because I'm old fashioned that I prefer to use contacts straight off the SIM, no sync business, nothing else. Just the number and the name. But that system doesn't work so great anymore.. Oh well. I'll adapt.

But damn my battery life is horrendous. I thought my Desire HD was bad; but this is horrible. There's no way it'd last a normal day out for me. No way. I'll have to grab one of those fancy chargers to carry with me methinks..

Check the battery life graph. That sounds like you have a program that is not stopping.

Viber uses a good 10%. My screen takes 40% though. Rest is android and what not. Viber is probably a big one. But still. That's a bit nuts Lol.

Got my Nexus 4. I bungled and did SO not realize it required a MicroSim. So I had to get that fixed up before using it haha.

But I had it all setup beforehand using it like a tablet. I love it but... one MAJOR gripe. Battery life is TERRIBLE?! Maybe it's my unit?! 4 hours (albeit rather frequent use, messaging, updating, downloading) and I'm down to less than 40% from a full-off charge? What?

I also dropped it already accidentally straight onto tile floor... Oops. Left a nasty little scuff on the chrome accent. But screen/back is untouched. Got my screen protector on; left the stock back one on until I get my case (waiting for it in the mail).

Performance wise I love it; responsiveness is great.. I love everything about it (few gripes with the UI for some things, but nothing I won't get used to).. Though how it handles contacts is annoying to me, but that's just because I'm old fashioned that I prefer to use contacts straight off the SIM, no sync business, nothing else. Just the number and the name. But that system doesn't work so great anymore.. Oh well. I'll adapt.

But damn my battery life is horrendous. I thought my Desire HD was bad; but this is horrible. There's no way it'd last a normal day out for me. No way. I'll have to grab one of those fancy chargers to carry with me methinks..
Look for the franciscofranco kernel for the N4 over on XDA forum. I have been using it and it will extend your battery life noticeably.

I find the battery life to be fair honestly. It is about the same as my mother's Galaxy S3.

It gets me through the day just fine waking up at about 8:30am and will have about 15% left when I put it on the charger before bed at midnight, moderate use (constantly checking G+, XDA and FB while at work).

I am currently running PARANOIDANDROID 2.99 with their Rev2 Contrasty Kernel (just Googles stock 3.4 kernel with screen/calibration settings baked in), I must say the colors on this screen are more amazing then ever with this kernel!

I find the battery life to also be fair. Try going into more>mobile networks> and place a check to only use 2G... I do that sometimes, but turn 4G back on when I need it. Stuff like browsing the forum and webpages is almost just as fast on 2G, and it seemed to extend my battery life quite a bit.

Weird part is, looking at the battery graph, it didn't appear as though the radio was a major drain on battery... But through actually using 2G, it seemed to extend battery life quite a bit. Worth a shot?

One thing I forgot to mention was if you root and install a Kernel like Franco's from XDA you can drop the voltage of the CPU down about 150mV also change the governor to like conservative (still liquid smooth), and also change when the phone activates cores and that has helped with my battery a lot.

Also, thanks for the tip I.M.O.G! I completely forgot that the 2G only toggle was there!

Okay without changing anything, my battery life is far superior now.. After first getting it I charged it til it said Charged, then did that twice after. So I figured maybe it wasn't FULLY charging. So I left it an extra 2 hours on the charger. Currently at 11 hours off the charger, 67%. Somewhat frequent use, though 6 hours of it I was sleeping. Much better than before. Battery life is indeed 'fair'. It just mustn't have been charged properly before I guess. All good. The reception in my area isn't fantastic enough to have 2G run. My 2G barely loads pages, so I need to keep my 3G on.

Now I'm still just waiting for that case...

OH! Question. If I message, say my father, and he replies, the phone understands it's the same message line. But I deleted it in my messages. Then he messaged me (so no prior messages). It came up with a number. This is because his number in my phone didn't start with +61. All +61 numbers (My country code) come up with their associated names, but if they start with just the normal number without the country code; they don't. Is there any way to fix this? Short of going through ALL my contacts manually and adding the country code? Another thing about the contacts control I dislike lol.

Back