• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nexus 4 won't turn on

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I've had my device for a month this past Thursday, and today my Nexus 4 won't turn on. It has died, quietly, and without any fanfare.

I was using it over my family christmas party when the battery went dead. I didn't think anything of it, and plugged it into the car when we left. A few minutes later I hit the power button to turn it back on, except it didn't turn on. Usually it would turn on at that point, but I didn't think anything of it and drove home.

So I got home and plugged it into the wall charger, and pressed the power button. Usually it would turn on at that point, but it didn't. Now I was concerned. So I had a meeting to get to after about 30 minutes, so jumped back in the car, took my phone and plugged it back into the car charger. It sat in the car charger for 30 minutes on the way there, an hour through the duration of the meeting while I sat in the car, and 30 minutes on the way home - still won't turn on. The device does get warm like its taking a charge.

So I called Google. Support was great. Direct, quick, clear, and no dialect. He thought we'd fix it quickly, stating sometimes when the battery goes dead the device goes into a deep sleep which can be hard to get out of. He had me first press the power+volume up+volume down - I held this 15-20 seconds and nothing happened. He then had me hold power+volume down - again nothing happened. At this point he called it dead and put me into the advanced RMA process - I'll get a new device, then ship this one back. After the phone call I also tried doing 30 seconds+ of any button combination, and nothing had any effect.

So I'm glad I'll be getting a new one. I'm a little frustrated that my touch of death this year continues, extending beyond simply computer parts. It used to be that I could run liquid nitrogen and ridiculous voltages and most everything just kept on running - I've been on a streak though as of late, and if I so much as look at something awkward it dies. Aggravating.

It's sitting on the charger now. Still not turning on. It's warm as though its taking a charge - but unresponsive.

Death Toll this year:
2-3 Maximus V Genes (I honestly forget how many, I bought 2, but I think I killed one replacement I got also)
1 MSI Z77 board
2 3770Ks (deserved to die)
1 Asus Radeon 7970 Matrix Platinum (it took the easy way out and died before I had the chance to torture it)
1 Nexus 4 (died for no reason)
... And several other things I'm sure I'm forgetting

Last edited:
also have you tried just the volume+ and power at the same time, or volume- and power at the same time. Im not familiar with lg phones and the disaster recovery utility. samsung has odin that will fix about anything

No removeable battery, requires opening it up to get to the battery.

I have tried all the combinations of vol+ and vol- and power. I can't even get into the bootloader, or get any indication that it has power.

Typically there would be an indicator when its charging even, but that is not functioning either. The only indication I have that its taking a charge is that it gets warm.

I'm supposed to get an email from Google to initiate the RMA process. I so far have not received anything, and they couldn't tell me exactly when I would receive it, other than that a different team than the call center team sends out those emails.

Well, have you tried lowering the voltage, changing the BClk and Multi, perhaps swapping out power supplies -> maybe you need 1000W Platinum for that thing. Check your long distance LN2 cable to the CPU, perhaps it needs to be over 1 mile in length. Don't forget to dip the whole unit in vasoline either. Phones need to smoke occasionally too. :bday:

My phone's got it easier than anything else I own! :D

Got the advanced RMA form filled out and stuff, expected shipping is within 1 week. I'm hopeful to get the new device before January 4th, but I feel like that is pretty unlikely.

Theres a thread over on XDA about a million pages long devoted to shipping times. It seems as though they pull from different stock for RMAs as opposed to standard sales. I ordered mine (non-RMA) on Dec 13th, but it still hasnt shipped yet. According to the email I received, it stated itll ship "before January 30th".

Interesting. That is a really long wait for the phone still.

I was surprised when they indicated it would be quick. I was going into the RMA expecting a turn around of a month or more as their site still listed sold out currently.

I have hope I'll receive mine a bit more timely. Some of the people who ordered within a few days prior to me received theirs already. Google probably quotes long wait times so people dont blow up their customer service line. Better to tell somebody a 2 month wait and ship in 2 weeks, than to say a 2 week wait and ship in 2 months. I cant wait to dump Sprint and this dinosaur Evo 4G of mine :).

I am still waiting for the play store to get more... Pretty hard to believe they underestimated the success of the phone. Next year will be better as they will hopfully have more made and be more prepared. Sorry for the loss though, same thing happened with my GSII. It died on a trip before I could get it to a charger, plugged in, buttons lit up then went off, then nothing... Now back to an iPhone 4 and it is the slowest phone ever...

I can help by taking all electronic items off your hands. You know my address, so shipping should not be a problem. Also, I would not be terribly disappointed if you left a couple of $100 bills in the package. I'll be happy to waive my customary service fee for you. :santa:

How did you make out with the new one Matt? I see they are in stock again...(finally!) and ordered one for the wife. I guess I better hold on to her GS2 just in case.

Also bought a $10 case and one those Seidio battery packs. She can carry that with her for emergency charges.

Last edited:
I hope this is just a one off! I just ordered mine finally yesterday. Just shipped 2 hours ago. I'm quite anxious. My HTC Desire HD is rather old; and I never bothered rooting it. So it started failing on me naturally haha. Battery life is wretched.

I just spent 10 bucks on 2 stacks of screen protectors (anti-glare/normal to test which I prefer), and another 30 on a polycarbonate overpriced case... Just cos it looked pretty and sleek. Hahaha. Oh dear. Can't wait though! Current phone is killing me XD.

Ordered mine tuesday when they first came back in stock, got my shipment email this morning and by the time I got it my phone was already here! Loving it, so glad to be back on Android!!! :attn:

Dfonda: Working out great for me so far. No problems with the new phone. I still have the plastic on the face that it shipped with... I guess I should get screen protectors and a case. Was hoping otterbox would make a case, but there has been zero news other than a small following wanting the same.

Forgot to mention, I got this battery pack also:
http://www.veho-uk.com/main/shop_detail.aspx?article=174

It's the size of my back pocket, so kinda bulky as far as portable batteries go. However it can charge the phone a bunch of times before it goes dead (they claim 10 iphone charges)... It can also power my laptop for quite a while.

I geeked out at CES and put it in my back pocket, then strung the charge cable through my belt loop so that the phone was charging while it was in my pocket. Usually with all the cell phones there and the bad signal, as well as having the device on all the time to take pictures and look up meeting info, the power sucks down super fast... Kept me charge every day all day though.

It's 13200Mah, which is the highest capacity mobile battery I could find - its just not the most compact. $130 on their site, $70 on amazon.

Well that's good to here Matt. I thought maybe the delay's in availability might have been quality control issues. Hopefully they have worked them out. glad they stood behind the product.

I have always used the thinnest cheapest case I could find for my iphones and android phones. Just enough to repel water and if dropped keep the glass from breaking. No breakage in six years(Lots of drops,cycle crashes, and acts of gawd) That includes 3 family members each with their own phone, with one of them being my kid.

As far as screen protectors I find them useless. They get dirty look ugly and lesson touch sensitivity. Have not used one since the iphone 3g and the invention of "Gorilla Glass. . Lets face it the glass on these phones is really hard to scratch...and after a year I'm hoping the thing will break so I can get a new one!:D

Holy Crap that Pebble packs a charge...I'll get one of those for myself! :shock:

and Congrats on the New Phones, Mjolnir and Fall. :beer: Let us know how they work out.

I'll let my wife test it out. I'm still holding out for an LTE Nexus. I'm jealous of the kids iphone 5 with speeds of 28-30 mb down and over 11 up. See what HTC comes out with this month, along with what comes out at Mobile World in Spain. Tempted to get an Unlocked Optimus G still which is pretty much the N4 with LTE and crappy skin.

Last edited:
I've never had a breakage either. No major cracks or anything. But a screen protector did stop a major crack once so I've made sure I use them since. But I suppose i see you point. Hmm.

I live in Aus so there's only one network that even carries 4g/LTE and I'm not with them. So that was a non factor for me. I'm quite excited. Will report back here eventually when it arrives!

I can say I'm not impressed with gorilla glass. These phones use gorilla glass 2, and without a case or screen protector, they are very prone to "leaks", or some word like that which means very tiny little scratches. I always make sure my keys get no where near my phone, and I don't put change or anything else abrasive in the same pocket as my phone. Still got em.

Back