• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel employee answers questions here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yep, just read that, and went to anand to find the hidden treasure, LOL!

Moe BGA debunking:
What's your stand on the new rumour doing rounds that low/mid tier Haswell cpu's will be soldered to the motherboards making them non-changeable?
If it turns out to be true, won't the same happen to high end cpu's to save on costs?

[–]jecb 27 points 6 hours ago
This rumor is likely misinterpreting facts or based on really incomplete information. Many of the variants will be BGA packages for certain form factors but not all. In my mind, if you lose customers by offering less choice, we did not save anything. But I'm not in sales or marketing.

Question:
As a person who just bought an Ivy-bridged based system, is there anything you can tell me to convince myself to save up for a haswell or broadwell system?
Answer:
...If you like to overclock, Haswell is worth it...
Sounds promising :D

I wonder if this has to do with the Integrated Voltage Regulator (IVR) :shrug:

EDIT: Looks like IVR may only be on the mobile CPUs, so never mind on that...

Last edited:
mmmmmmm bacon... :thup:

mmmm Narwhals...

As for the soldered chipsets, that is supposed to be implemented in laptop/sff based systems mostly used for OEMs. Afaik there will be nothing like that available for consumers except for the laptop systems...

I cannot wait for more info.
i have a SB chip, so I didn't upgrade to IB this round,
can't wait to see the next level tech.

on that front, what happened to AMD CPU chips?

I think the hidden gem is fsb straps...
SB-E has that... it just means non "K" chips can overclock further to me and perhaps some different memory speeds b/c of it. Otherwise....... :shrug:

I cannot wait for more info.
i have a SB chip, so I didn't upgrade to IB this round,
can't wait to see the next level tech.

on that front, what happened to AMD CPU chips?
Nothing happened. They have a solid multicore chip that excels at heavily multithreaded non FPU processes. They arent competing much at the high end/clock for clock arena though, but their pricing structure reflects that. AMD is a perfectly viable option. :thup:

AMD is relying on the same fab as Nvidia for their dies (gpu and cpu/apu)...but that's not their major problem, rather the stupid design decisions they took with Bulldozer, and the blatant lies they told their loyal customers, praising a fail like Bulldozer which performed worse than its predecesor.
Lots of money invested in a bad design that made them lose tons of revenue and forced them to continue that path. Vishera parts are looking much better though, and perhaps if Bd would have been like that from the start things would've been different. :(

I don't like 4chan...lotsa useless pricks making fun of random folks, not my cup of tea.
Just in /b/ and the Yotsuba A boards.
The other boards of 4chan are not the same at all.

You don't like Reddit?!

4chan is where the smart folk go to play and act like idiots.
Reddit is the other way around. not to mention half if not all of the stuff on Reddit is stolen from else where.

OK rant over: back on topic.

Ok, that's based on what I've seen so far...I don't frequent either of those sites, but found this AMA really interesting.

I'd stay away from both. TBH not everyone can make it on those sites.
I do get all my wallpapers /WG/ tho. witch is a NSFW board BTW. IE Yotsuba A
There is a tech board as well. it's a Yotsuba B board (safe for work). Reddit has a lot of trolls and wantabe's
Out of the 2 Reddit is safer and more friendly, For the most part, 4chan gets a bad rap from /b/ and the other Yotsuba A boards.
Reddit tends to have more interesting content, but it's all stolen or reposted.

Last edited:
Back