• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BOINC suddenly has stopped working??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion456

Boinc has suddenly stopped processing and it shows no tasked downloaded for work, where as yesterday it showed 7 days supply.

Any ideas? I have tried rebooting. I deleted BOINC and downloaded and installed it. No change.

Seems BOINC has been classified as a virus by microsoft defender and by AVG. They both stopped it from running. So far no luck in convincing them to restart BOINC.

Seems BOINC has been classified as a virus by microsoft defender and by AVG. They both stopped it from running. So far no luck in convincing them to restart BOINC.

When I read the title, I thought it had to do with BOINC itself, but ok. AVG used to make it impossible to remove their software, but they now have an uninstall tool available on their website. I went with another antivirus program since then, because of the principle. I don't think Defender is removable (Security Essentials is optional though I think), but see if you can disable its features. Of course, not being able to remove IE explorer or Defender is a debatable reason for avoiding MS altogether, if the need arises. BOINC is offered on linux https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download_all.php

Hmmm, my event log for rosetta@home says: reached daily quota of 4 results? Perhaps that's why I can't get more work to start??

Any idea what that means

Hmmm, my event log for rosetta@home says: reached daily quota of 4 results? Perhaps that's why I can't get more work to start??

Any idea what that means

is there any work that has downloaded files that aren't recognized by the antivirus?

is there any work that has downloaded files that aren't recognized by the antivirus?

I disabled AVG and Microsoft lists BOINC as suspect but not blocked. It looks like something deleted all my work and Rosetta itself is not allowing more to be downloaded.

I would bet that when AVG got the false positive, it moved all the files it thought were infected to it's "Vault" or deleted them (depends on settings). Rosetta thus thinks that you downloaded a bunch of WUs and didn't return valid results. The same thing happens if your overclock is too high and the WUs fail. This should resolve itself once you finish and upload a few work units. If you can figure out where AVG's vault was, you might be able to get the files back, but that probably got deleted (if they were there to start) when you uninstalled AVG.

Last edited:
I would bet that when AVG got the false positive, it moved all the files it thought were infected to it's "Vault" or deleted them (depends on settings). Rosetta thus thinks that you downloaded a bunch of WUs and didn't return valid results. The same thing happens if your overclock is too high and the WUs fail. This should resolve itself once you finish and upload a few work units. If you can figure out where AVG's vault was, you might be able to get the files back, but that've been deleted (if they were there to start) when you uninstalled AVG.

That's my bet too. That's the notice you get from Rosetta if you lose or misfold a bunch of WUs, you get put on 4-results-a-day probation for a day or two.
It'll go back to normal once you convince MS and AVG that it isn't an issue.

For reference I use Avast, and it doesn't yell at BOINC/rosetta.

Hi orion456 rather than disable the whole of AVG cant you just add the boinc directories to the exceptions list, just go AVG Otions Advanced Settings Exceptions, you will see this in the left hand menu list. Might help you in the future.

Hi orion456 rather than disable the whole of AVG cant you just add the boinc directories to the exceptions list, just go AVG Otions Advanced Settings Exceptions, you will see this in the left hand menu list. Might help you in the future.

Too late for this round, but I am sure it will happen again when AVG gets upgraded. Thx for the hint.

I just add C:\\ProgramData\BOINC to the AV program's exceptions list (I currently use Kaspersky) so that then anything that operates from that directory (in particular the minirosetta.exe's), does so without the AV program hindering it when the version changes.

Back