• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte GA-990FX UD3 vs UD5 vs UD7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tharnisch

what is the benefit of say going up from the UD3 to either the UD5 or UD7. from everything i could read and gather, its a matter of how many graphics cards you want to put in, so If I am not going crazy on multiple video cards, there would be no true advantage or gain to either of the other two over the UD3?

The big difference between the UD3 and the other two is the type of power regulation they use. The UD3 is equipped with an older type of power regulation, the 5/7 are on digital regulation. I run two way SLI on a heavily overclocked FX-8320 using the UD3 so even if its not the best MOBO around Ill give it a solid A rating anyways.

If your not planning to run multiple GPUs the 990Xa and 970 UD3 all have the same power regulation circuit the only difference is subset features which your probably not using anyways.

And to add to my good friend SSJ is this. AJ.

1, UD3 Has 6 Sata ports and Sli.

2, UD5 Has 8 Sata ports and Tri Sli.

3, UD7 Has Quad Sli and Better cooling on the Mobo as well.

Quality

And to add to my good friend SSJ is this. AJ.

1, UD3 Has 6 Sata ports and Sli.

2, UD5 Has 8 Sata ports and Tri Sli.

3, UD7 Has Quad Sli and Better cooling on the Mobo as well.

You couldn´t say the mainboards are equal.
Better Cooling on the mainboard is an essential feature. And other important feature is existent too.

I've had all of them. The 5 and 7 are far superior boards, with the five being the best bang for the buck. The 7 is a really nice board, but IMO, overpriced.

No R5. Never needed it. Bios's had regular updates adding new AGESA codes is all. The board will run all AM3 and AM3+ processors without a hitch. Only reason I got rid of it was that there were other boards that overclocked better for benching.

Back