• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

H100i - Do I have to use Corsair Link?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rfkrocktk

I have a Corsair H100 and I just bought a H100i since I was having issues with my H100. I mainly run Linux as my desktop operating system, booting into Windows for gaming or video editing. I've got an overclocked system, so I'm sure that I'll actually be using the capabilities of the cooler, but I don't know if Corsair Link is required to run the fans and the pump. Does anyone know if the software is required to run? With the H100, obviously, it isn't required and works fine without it.

Are these profiles stored and loaded from firmware or is it entirely in software? Just curious.

I believe it is entirely software, so in Linux I don't think you will have access to them. The standard 3 settings on the pump should still work though.

You don't have to use the software but it works pretty good. It ran fine after install before finding the software that isn't even included. For me the software is better because I can run it silent and without it it runs at a higher setting and louder. Even at silent it outperforms the H100 at high settings so keep that in mind.

You don't have to use the software but it works pretty good. It ran fine after install before finding the software that isn't even included. For me the software is better because I can run it silent and without it it runs at a higher setting and louder. Even at silent it outperforms the H100 at high settings so keep that in mind.

Awesome to know, I was hoping for that. If I set it to a different profile, I wonder if it'll persist after boot without the software being required.

Additionally, I know that they provide their own thermal paste, but has anyone had any better results with custom paste? I bought me some Arctic MX-4 and am thinking of swapping out the provided paste for the Arctic stuff. Good idea? Bad idea?

I put MX-4 on my H80 because i wasnt happy with my temps. I got about a 2c to 3c temp drop.
I have the H80i now and I'm using the stock paste ATM.I'm gonna put the MX- 4 on it.I hope I get similar results

I put MX-4 on my H80 because i wasnt happy with my temps. I got about a 2c to 3c temp drop.
I have the H80i now and I'm using the stock paste ATM.I'm gonna put the MX- 4 on it.I hope I get similar results

Let me know if you see a similar difference. Somehow, I just don't think Corsair's paste will fare as well as Arctic MX-4. Did you notice a significant temp-drop migrating to the H80i?

The stock paste on the H100 was decent. But after market stuff is usually better, just a bit more work.

In the past, I've cleaned off thermal paste with 95% isopropyl alcohol and lint-free glasses cleaning cloths. Any better recommendations, or should that get the job done?

That'll be fine. Mostly you just don't want any hairs or chunks of things.
Link wise someone needs to snoop on the software and write a linux driver, probably doable.

As long as the H100i runs while running in Linux, I'm satisfied. If not, then I might have to get my hands dirty and write a driver. Hopefully, I won't have to.

Anyone willing to boot to an Ubuntu Live CD while running one of 'em and see if your profile sticks? ie: set it it to the lowest setting, boot to the live CD, verify that it "sticks," then set it to high, boot to live CD, verify, etc.

Are there any software alternatives for windows (specifically windows 7)? I have Corsair Link for my power supply, an AX860i. I also have software for my water cooler, a Kraken X60. Unfortunately, they are not compatible if both are installed.

Short reason, I need to have both pieces of software running and compatible at the same time.

Long reason: This wouldn't be a problem at all, but my AX860i also has a strange tendency to click every 6-10 seconds when it is set to the default fan mode, which is fanless at low loads/idle, but sends a PWM pulse intermitently to the fan that makes it twitch and click. So I have to run the Corsair Link software to set the fan to a fixed, silent speed. However, this makes it so I can't control the more important water cooling fans. :(

So, any alternatives?

Back