• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom loop for cpu and single gpu

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ivanlabrie

Hi guys...I was doing some thinking and decided to gift myself a nice loop for my new delidded 3770k and eventually a 7970/8970.

I hand-picked the following parts so far:

CPU block

Rad

Pump

Res/top

Tubing (not sure how many ft I'll need)

Fittings: absolutely no clue for now...whichever work and are black.

Components will be a delidded 3770k, probably oced to 5ghz or 5.2ghz with some luck and a 7970/8970 or maybe even my gtx 670 ftw for now (I was planning on getting a universal block/vrm heatsinks and a second 240 monsta rad). For fans I'll use my two Nidec 220cfm pwm fans, which will be controlled by the mobo header and fed by the psu.

Any insights?

I forgot to add I have a CM 690 II, the one in my sig...so 360 rads are out of the question cause I don't wanna hardmod the case SO much.

you should be able to get another 240 top or bottom and a 120 in the back., but the 240 you have won't be enough.

One 240 for single cpu for now not enough?

I'll be ordering items in batches, to save on shipping and tax :p
First batch will be Res/kill coil/pt nuke...I decided to go with sidewindercomputers.com cause I've already bought from them and offer first class shipping which is cheaper.

I picked the Swiftech 35x restop found here.

Is the 35x a good choice?

And what rads will be better to maximize the cooling potential using my 220cfm fans? Higher fpi ofc, but which ones? I liked those Monsta 80mm thick rads.

Is the Raystorm a good block? Or is the swiftech one that comes with an integrated 35x pump better?

I would make sure those very thick looking radiators fit in that case with a push/pull or whatever choice you go by. Figure 120.2 per block is the average people go by especially if you're overclocking. CPU+GPU = 120.4 total which is what I have setup which in return gives me great temps.

I would prolly go with 10 Feet of tubing to be safe incase you make a mistake or reroute.

I would also go with x2 Black Ice GTX Gen. 2 Xtreme 240 Radiators http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&cPath=59_457_667_200&products_id=20983 OR http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...t_info&cPath=59_457_667_671&products_id=25388

The MCP-35x is a phenominal pump and should be no problem with that setup and any future additions.

Last edited:
One 240 for single cpu for now not enough?

I'll be ordering items in batches, to save on shipping and tax :p
First batch will be Res/kill coil/pt nuke...I decided to go with sidewindercomputers.com cause I've already bought from them and offer first class shipping which is cheaper.

I picked the Swiftech 35x restop found here.

Is the 35x a good choice?

And what rads will be better to maximize the cooling potential using my 220cfm fans? Higher fpi ofc, but which ones? I liked those Monsta 80mm thick rads.

Is the Raystorm a good block? Or is the swiftech one that comes with an integrated 35x pump better?

for just the CPU 240 is fine.

I love my 35x the pump top res is nice, it saves having to find another spot to mount it.

More FPI=more need for static pressure. most of the 220CFM fans I know of have a decent Static pressure so you should be good there.

What fans exactly?

They have AWESOME static pressure, I wanna max the chip on air/delidded.
I can always dial them down cause they're pwm.
Nidec Beta-v ta450dc, 220cfm 5300rpm, 3.3a lol

Black ice sounds nice, those are really high fpi right?

And the waterblock? Is the Swiftech apogee that comes with the 35x pump any better or which one's the best choice? Raystorm is cheap and seems decent...

And I have absolutely no clue as to how many compression fittings I will need nor how to select them. I guess it all comes with 3/4 id...

They have AWESOME static pressure, I wanna max the chip on air/delidded.
I can always dial them down cause they're pwm.
Nidec Beta-v ta450dc, 220cfm 5300rpm, 3.3a lol

Black ice sounds nice, those are really high fpi right?

And the waterblock? Is the Swiftech apogee that comes with the 35x pump any better or which one's the best choice? Raystorm is cheap and seems decent...
The raystorm is one of the best blocks ATM. I am still running an apogee HD and find it acceptable on my 3930k. overall all I say see my below comment

And I have absolutely no clue as to how many compression fittings I will need nor how to select them. I guess it all comes with 3/4 id...

Looks like you need to read some more of the stickies/reviews of the parts you want.

Basically you need 2 fittings for every piece. 2 in the block, 2 in the rad and 1 in pump top and 1 in pump outlet.

Do some more reading so you don't end up with wasted money in shipping and the like.

Yea baxters right. You need to read up on the stickies and see more examples before you pull the trigger.

That fan is very powerful and is usually not needed for these type of rads that come out nowadays unless its a very high FPI radiator. How many of those fans do you have and will you be going push/pull which I think is overkill with a fan like that. Most radiators are being made with low FPI/low noise setups. Take your time on this as you will end up going over budget as most of us have let alone myself. lol

Yep, I'll get some extra tubing just in case. I'll purchase the res/top, kill coil and pt nuke first.
Then go for the raystorm block and tubing and last I'll get the fittings and rad.
So I have time to read even more, cause I've read all the stickies so far and did a fair amount of research now. I'll probably opt for compression fittings instead of barbs cause they look a bit better and might be easier to install, for a total of 6 or 8 (that's the only doubt I have, regarding the installation of the res over the pump...does that need extra fittings or not?)

Awesome, all set then...phew. xD
I'll start ordering parts once I get my new 3770k and report back here. Perhaps I can bench 5.5ghz on air :p
Thanks guys, and happy new year!

Well, bump from the dead...After doing some math and seeing that I owe the bank the hefty sum of 1200usd I concluded I'd be better off saving for the new Swiftech H220 kit once it hits retail stores.
Any thoughts? I plan on adding a gpu block, changing tubing and getting two black ice gtx 240 rads and sell the stock 240 rad and fans...

Ah, gotcha...perhaps I can leave that rad/res thing be and get only a second rad for the gpu then. That should do for some time, till I feel like getting two more 220cfm fans :p
The pump seems to be quite strong, same as the apogee drive II, right?
What do you think of it?

edit: a res would improve the performance a bit, whilst helping with refills and such like? I'll have to save for one I guess...

Last edited:
No, it's a good pump but not as good as the apogee block/pump setup, or the 35x, or the 655 with the new 35x top. It's decent though. Can't be that good considering the cost of a 35x is $75, an Apoggee Drive is $95? and the whole AIO sold by Swiftech is only MSRP at $139.99.

Gabe (CEO) has to cut costs somewhere to bring an AIO to market. Pump, rad, clamps, hose, etc.

Still, a great beginner AIO.

A res is worthless once the loop is full and bled. But you have to have one. That's all it's for. No performance gains, just more place for leaks.

Ok, I get it.
You think it could drive a single gpu and cpu loop with two rads still?
That's all I'm gonna use it for. Perhaps replace the mcr220 res/rad with a better rad and get a separate res when I add the gpu block and a second rad.

Ok, I get it.
You think it could drive a single gpu and cpu loop with two rads still?
That's all I'm gonna use it for. Perhaps replace the mcr220 res/rad with a better rad and get a separate res when I add the gpu block and a second rad.

Hard to say for certain since it hasn't been release yet. The press release said it can be modified so you should be able to add some stuff.

I think it best to wait from some reviews to decide how much it be customized.

Back