• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED What did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I got a new bottle of Jack.

And stuff to refinish our front security gate. Paint, sandpaper, dremel tool bits, naval jelly etc.

And we did ribs, new taters, and asparagus on the grill.

I got a new bottle of Jack.

And stuff to refinish our front security gate. Paint, sandpaper, dremel tool bits, naval jelly etc.

And we did ribs, new taters, and asparagus on the grill.

Why do you need to lube your naval to work on the fence Conum? :)

I picked up a new Swiftech MCB655 and a Phobya Balancer 250... Time to replace the cheap XSPC 750 with mo-flo...

I bought new tires for the van, did the belt and changed the oil as well as the cabin air filter.. A bit more than $800.. The next day (Sunday) the tranny was slipping badly, only had first and reverse. So today had it towed to the tranny shop and have a new one being installed, should be done tomorrow afternoon at just over $2k

:cry:

At least I don't have worry about it for another 255 thousand kliks :D

Something from the days of famous Edison? Wow interesting, what is it from and what decade?

BTW, the keyboard with numbers worn off vs the new one in the pic from a while back, what a change!

That is actually brand new and for a Dell R510. The keyboard is actually the same. I've just used it so much that the lack of lettering has wrapped around and there is now lettering. Confused me too.

I got some fast toys.

The processors arrived today and I've been doing stability tests on the R510 since around noon. I chose the 6-core E5645 2.4 GHz, which are fairly expensive. There are a ton of ES ones available, but I wouldn't trust those in a "production" system. Normal price has been $500 each, but I snagged these non-ES versions for $429 each.

e5645_arrived.JPG

r510_processors_installed_1.JPG

r510_processors_installed_2.JPG

Compared to my dual socket 8-core Opteron server (16 cores total), one of these servers is roughly 25% faster. Considering that there are fewer cores, that is pretty impressive. If you go back a few pages, you can see that during stability testing, the Opteron setup did 77 GFlops. I had to run two instances on this server to full load all the cores, so that probably degraded the performance slightly. It is doing a combined 96.53 GFlops (25.3% faster). I'll do another run with only a single test running to see how it does when there is no competition for memory.

r510_stress.png

Very nice Thideras, I wanted to get two of those for my SR-2's but they were like (and still are I assume $550ish a peice, which was overbudget for me, and people were already laughing at me for getting dual quaddies, Couldn't imagine what they'd say if I got dual sextuplets =P

You've got two GTX Titans worth of processors there man Q_Q noice.

I thought server setups is where AMD Opterons really showed their force against Intel?

Intel 4 proc mobos are SO Expensive you could buy like 4 Quad Operton systems for the price of a fully outfitted quad intel Xeon rig, lol.

I do love Xeons though, they run so cool, even mine overclocked at 3.5 still never get above 110 Fahrenheit at load. Probably will never go back to i7s... my wallet is already cryin'

And is that a Dell mobo? They make their own server mobos? Are they rebranded from SuperMicro or somethin?

I picked up myself an HP M4-1015DX at best buy for $550, which I thought was a steal..
Intel Core i7 3632QM
8GB DDR3 1600
1TB WD Blue hard drive(replaced with 60GB intel 330 for now)
14" LCD
Backlit keys
2013-03-18214702_zps2dd67962.jpg

2013-03-18214809_zps50543e6d.jpg

2013-03-18214907_zps397f6209.jpg

2013-03-18214920_zps8408f615.jpg

So far I love it, great purchase.

Very nice Thideras, I wanted to get two of those for my SR-2's but they were like (and still are I assume $550ish a peice, which was overbudget for me, and people were already laughing at me for getting dual quaddies, Couldn't imagine what they'd say if I got dual sextuplets =P

You've got two GTX Titans worth of processors there man Q_Q noice.

I thought server setups is where AMD Opterons really showed their force against Intel?

Intel 4 proc mobos are SO Expensive you could buy like 4 Quad Operton systems for the price of a fully outfitted quad intel Xeon rig, lol.

I do love Xeons though, they run so cool, even mine overclocked at 3.5 still never get above 110 Fahrenheit at load. Probably will never go back to i7s... my wallet is already cryin'

And is that a Dell mobo? They make their own server mobos? Are they rebranded from SuperMicro or somethin?
I had a spreadsheet created that compared approximate performance to price. I only included quad/six core processors in the 5600 series with HT. The e5620 (quad core, 2.4 GHz) was the best performance to price at "3.62". With the price I paid for the e5645's, that would give me a ratio of "3.34", which is really close.

Most of the servers I come across are Intel. AMD is actually quite rare. Purely speaking of performance, Intel is superior. AMD is cheaper, especially when it comes to more than two sockets.

It is a Dell motherboard. I'm fairly sure that they design their own since they do the same thing with desktops.

never noticed this thread before, nice to include everyone in the forums into one :D
i got some parts for the jeep coming if that counts :) i suppose i can post some pix when they get here. because sun visors, snatch blocks, and "oh ****" handles are exciting! lol
sadly no pc parts for now.

Last edited:
The trays arrived for the Dell R510 along with the third 300 GB Velociraptor.

r510_tray_arrive.JPG

Disks for the R710 arrived today. 8x 300 GB Velociraptor.

r710_disks_arrived_1.JPG

r710_disks_arrived_2.JPG

ok, so did not get today but this year...

Specs in the sig.... And first build

work/gaming area

picture.php

front panle on

picture.php

front panle off

picture.php

yes, I still use a optical drive

picture.php

my great wire manegment skills

picture.php

I call this the medusa/ hydra part of my computer(can you guess why?)

picture.php

and

picture.php

it's for a BIO project... thoughs are black eyed peas... also while I was at it also decided to get 2 strawberry plants

Trays for the R710 arrived today and XCP is installed.

r710_trays_arrived_2.JPG

dell_r710_xencenter_1.png

Radio Shack 22-172 clamp meter. Works great for checking current draw in PCs, among other things. It has a DSP so it reads properly even when the input is very noisy. It's also CAT III rated which means it is suitable for use on hybrid vehicles and large UPSes should the need arise.

I did a teardown to check its build quality. Afterwards, I disabled the rather annoying buzzer (it would beep every time I moved the selector switch or pressed a button, and the continuity buzzer mode was laggy and useless) and put a little dielectric grease on the switch contacts so they won't go intermittent like the ones on my older meter did.
wi0j6c.jpg
2w6t7jo.jpg

ok, so I did not get new computer stuff but it is another hobby of mine and what I do when not doing computer stuff...and I take pretty pictures of my modles so in a way they do help with computer stuff...:)

Attachments

• imagesCA931SGW.jpg
    imagesCA931SGW.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 520
  • imagesCA8TQ367.jpg
    imagesCA8TQ367.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 514
ok, so I did not get new computer stuff but it is another hobby of mine and what I do when not doing computer stuff...and I take pretty pictures of my modles so in a way they do help with computer stuff...:)

Nice. I used to be into those(although probably went by a different name then) waaaaaaay back when.
I still geek over giant robots... Can't wait for July when Pacific Rim comes out...

I do have a boat load of Bitspower fittings and do-dads showing up today... That will be fun :)

More stuff for the servers arrived today. Fiber cables and the front plate for the R710.

cables_arrived.JPG

faceplate_arrived.JPG

Back