• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FEATURED What did you get today?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. The PSU, Blu Ray player and SATA caddy all look and work great.

The R9 285 had only one mission in mind: Illuminate the VGA LED status light (fail) on my motherboard. Tried different PCI slots, differ different 8 pin plug, different PSU...no joy.

The slightly disturbing thing is that the seal on the box was not sealed, and the copper cooler pipes at the top of the card had some scuffing. Me thinks I got sold a returned rather than new card (Newegg).

So, back to the GTX 650 for the time being. Was really looking forward to trying out Eyefinity this weekend. I'm struggling to make Nvidia Surround work well for me when going back and forth between gaming and workstation duties.

Meantime, some eye candy with the new but not functional graphics card:

CAM00239.jpg

Well, 3 out of 4 ain't bad. The PSU, Blu Ray player and SATA caddy all look and work great.

The R9 285 had only one mission in mind: Illuminate the VGA LED status light (fail) on my motherboard. Tried different PCI slots, differ different 8 pin plug, different PSU...no joy.

The slightly disturbing thing is that the seal on the box was not sealed, and the copper cooler pipes at the top of the card had some scuffing. Me thinks I got sold a returned rather than new card (Newegg).

So, back to the GTX 650 for the time being. Was really looking forward to trying out Eyefinity this weekend. I'm struggling to make Nvidia Surround work well for me when going back and forth between gaming and workstation duties.

Meantime, some eye candy with the new but not functional graphics card:

View attachment 171481

I would complain about the open box, Where did you purchase the video card from?

He said Newegg in the post.

Indeed. And a couple of reviews posted at Newegg for this card complained of the same thing. Already RMA'd, packed and ready to go back.

Since the weekend is already shot for this upgrade, I might as well wait to see what Black Friday deals come up. I'm thinking about doing a new build for my son, and if I go that route, I'll just inherit the R9 270 in his current setup.

I got a GTX 680 Hydro Copper from Newegg a couple years ago and returned it asap for a refund. This isn't the first time I got something "new" from them with broken seals and not the last I've heard from others either. Just keep an eye out but in general, they're good on their part. They need to start turn some heads in their department who keep sending out open items to customers who are paying a premium price for new products.

new case

DSC02594_zps4xesc0gx.jpg~original

Well my new motherboard arrived today. I've got mixed feelings on this though. I'm elated that it arrived today and I have time to test it out before the weekend. But I am frustrated that I had to make the purchase in the first place. Also I abhor the red as it is gonna clash with my orange build. Well enough of my rambling check out the pics and have a giggle art my half a pound of thermal paste.

PART_1448493359239_1125151815.jpg

Well my new motherboard arrived today. I've got mixed feelings on this though. I'm elated that it arrived today and I have time to test it out before the weekend. But I am frustrated that I had to make the purchase in the first place. Also I abhor the red as it is gonna clash with my orange build.

krylon red.jpg

Just picked up new phones for the family. My boys got the HTC Desire, the wife went with the LG V10 and I upgraded my Galaxy S4 to the S6. Not sure if I'm going to like not having a replaceable battery or an external memory card but we'll see.

Just picked up new phones for the family. My boys got the HTC Desire, the wife went with the LG V10 and I upgraded my Galaxy S4 to the S6. Not sure if I'm going to like not having a replaceable battery or an external memory card but we'll see.

Love my S5 and it makes me not want to upgrade, it's a shame they did away with both.

Not sure if I'm going to like not having a replaceable battery or an external memory card but we'll see.

I don't miss either. The S6 Edge is my 4th Galaxy phone. I stopped using external memory cards a long time ago. My S4's battery never needed replaced in 2+ years. With small, medium, and large tablets these days I stopped loading movies on my phone when I travel long ago. Of course you want the 32 or 64, 16 is way to little.

Last edited:
Thx. I ended up with the 64G. They are discontinuing the 128G and only had the Gold available.

Back