• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Turn a High-Speed Gentle Typhoon Into a PWM Fan, Version 2.0

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

Highspeed Gentle Typhoons are wonderful beasties. They run at 300, 4250 and 5400 rpm but sound surprisingly quiet for those speeds. They draw their power from the PSU so they don’t burn out your motherboard. They even report their RPM with a dedicated line. All they lack is PWM. With PWM control our motherboards could tell these fans when to really crank, and when to be quiet. But take heart! Hiding in highspeed Gentle Typhoons are the reins to controlling these fans. I just bought a new highspeed Gentle Typhoon. Inside half an hour I can turn this wild critter into a docile PWM fan. Follow along with me and learn for yourself.

... Return to article to continue reading.

Last edited by a moderator:
very nice ... love it

was able to extrapolate answers to some of my simple electrical questions about fans from this article ... many thanks for that ;P

wow, that is simple! figured it would be something more complicated, than that. Great guide!

perf pcs is selling a pwm version of this fan with a normal 4pin pwm connector (no molex). I am wondering if it is safe to power this fan from my mobo (maximus v formula). I think my cpu header is rated at max 1A or 12watts. I know this fan has a starting current of .97A which would be 11.64 watts.
Also wondering if my cpu opt. fan header has its own 1A -12watt power or shares power with my main cpu header in case I wanted to power a pair of these directly from my motherboard???

Thank you! very interesting. I want to replace the Antec stock fans in my Antec Kuhler 920 and these are a perfect choice. BUT I've done all the modifications, my fan work but are not managed by the kuhler chill software nor their speed is displayed. I did my connection in 2 ways: 1) I took 4 pins connector and cable from a PWM fan and did all the welding accordingly. Fans spins but no control or info about the speed.
2) I kept the original molex connector, removed the yellow cable (speed info) and welded the 2 cables (yellow and blue cables only) from the 4pin connector I had used previously . Still no luck, same result. So I'm wondering if Antek Kuhler chill control soft is just not able to use / read from a 3000 rpm fan? How could I check that my fan is sffectively PWM without using the Chill control software? Did anyone here had sucess in using those fans with the Antec Kuhler 920?

BTW I find it crazy , with the rise of water cooling, that no company produces PWM quiet fans over 2000 rpm.

Thank you!

BTW I find it crazy , with the rise of water cooling, that no company produces PWM quiet fans over 2000 rpm.
Delta, Nidec (the fan in the article!), and Sanyo all make high powered PWM sine wave drive fans. (Actually, they're hybrid inverter drive, meaning that they use sine waves at low speed and trapezoid waves at high speed.)

What's interesting is that the "fixed speed" Nidec has the sine wave drive DSP, but the control input is left disconnected so it's always running in the trapezoidal wave mode, negating one of the main advantages of using DSP drive. (Cindy Wu probably won't be too happy to read this!) Although most of the "smart fan" controllers on motherboards make the smart fan look dumb (at least with the not so sane defaults), so maybe not having PWM by default isn't so bad after all...

Can I use this method to SC600 pump?

I have some pumps without pwm.
I want to make like the post.
Is there any one can make it with SC600 or any pump with resistor controller.

No mention was made of where to get the four pin female plug where the blue and yellow wires migrate to. Hopefully, there is a source for them so you don't have to canabalize another PWM fan just to get one.

Here is one source. Computer retailers sell them in smaller lots. They are variously called 4-pin or PWM plug housings.

Back