• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 of my rigs in my network can't access the net??!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LandShark

Super Shark Moderator
well, first of all, i've networked 6 machines at home and share my cable modem.

5 rigs:
Gary Win98
Kevin Win98
Danny Win98
Office WinXP
Server Win2000
Cruncher Win2000

all my Win98 machines couldn't access any of the Win2000/XP machines?! sometimes, the Win98 machines "might" able to see the Win2000/XP in network neighborhood, but just couldn't access it.

also, my WinXP machine could see the Win2000 machines. however, when i click the Win2000 rigs, it ask me for user & password?? i've logged on as admin. for all 2000/XP machines.

and lately, the "Kevin" & "Danny" rigs couldn't access the internet!! but all of my other rigs could see and access them tho!! "Kevin" & "Danny" also could upload/download from SETI@Home. just couldn't access any web site other than some SETIQueue Server, like this and this. how come??

it did triple check to make sure, "obtain IP address", "enable DHCP". but somehow, "Kevin" & "Danny" still couldn't access the net???? :rolleyes:

i'm down to no other idea than reinstall Window98. :mad:

also, was gonna setup "Server" as my SETIQueue server for all of my rigs. however, none of them could access it?? :confused:

help, PLS!!

have you user created accounts on the win2k and xp machines for the other machines?

Did they ever all work? If so, what was changed before they stopped seeing each other? Where is the DHCP server? Can you ping all of the other boxes? If not then they either aren't getting an IP from the DHCP server or the network card isn't working.

- Fade

Gresyth: i'm always log on as admin. for both win2k and xp machines. what do u mean by create user account for the other (win98?) machines?? or u mean i need to create user account in other XP machine?

fade2black: first of all, they all used to able to access the net! no problem at all. but suddenly, (well, don't knwo what they did?) they just can't anymore....! and i've checked, they DO have an IP address from my rounter. and they can access my other win98 machine (Gary), but just couldn't access the net...:rolleyes:

Sounds like a gateway or routing problem. Are you using any kind of firewall? Can you do a traceroute to an Internet IP? That would show you where the routing is going anyway. Can you ping an IP outside or your network, like Yahoo's IP or something?

- Fade

how do i ping any web site? i know it's from the DOS mode, right? but how? also, how do i know the site's ip address?

yes, i do have a firewall buit in the router. however, i've check the router, it seems running fine. at least the rest of my machines (98, 2k, xp) could get to the net. and i didn't block any block in any of the machine neither.

as i've said, i could access this site http://129.130.176.109:5517, but if i type http://www.yahoo.com, it can't??!! also, i could upload/download WUs for SETI from the above site by setting the proxy server to the above address.....

this really driving me nut now. and if i still couldn't fix it, i'm afraid i might have to reinstall windows.....:mad:

To find the IP of a website type "nslookup www.whatever.com" That will use your DNS servers to resolve the name and return the IP.

If you can get to the website by IP but not by name it sounds like a DNS problem. Are you using the same DNS server IP's on all your PC's (probably, but I'm just checking ;) )

- Fade

fade2black said:
To find the IP of a website type "nslookup www.whatever.com" That will use your DNS servers to resolve the name and return the IP.

If you can get to the website by IP but not by name it sounds like a DNS problem. Are you using the same DNS server IP's on all your PC's (probably, but I'm just checking ;) )

- Fade

i type that in the DOS mode right? i'll try it tonight when i get home. TKS!

well, all of my PCs are connected to my router w/ the same setting. so, if some of the router setting is messed up, it should be ALL of my machines couldn't access the net. not just 2 of them..

At the DOS prompt just type "ping <IP address>" If you get no replies then you can't get to the address...there is no route available. Start by pinging your router IP, then your DNS servers, then yahoo. Take small steps and see where you stop getting replies.

- Fade

router ip? r u talking 'bout my ip address? i got dynamic ip from my cable service.

i'll try to start "pinging" tonight when i get home, and let u know how's going.

btw, tks so much for ur help!!

Yes, your router should have an IP assigned to the Ethernet port, like 192.168.1.1 or something like that. What kind of router is this? You should be able to telnet to your router to configure it. How did you configure the router when you got it?

- Fade

well, guess what?

they both could ping my router and any site!! (tried yahoo & cnet)

check my router again, (btw, they both could access my router too) everything is the same, and all my other rigs is browsing fine!! recheck the rigs' tcp/ip setting, they r the same as the one who could browse the net.

btw, i'm using Linksys' Wireless AP + Router & 4 Ports Switch.

LandShark said:
Gresyth: i'm always log on as admin. for both win2k and xp machines. what do u mean by create user account for the other (win98?) machines?? or u mean i need to create user account in other XP machine?

fade2black: first of all, they all used to able to access the net! no problem at all. but suddenly, (well, don't knwo what they did?) they just can't anymore....! and i've checked, they DO have an IP address from my rounter. and they can access my other win98 machine (Gary), but just couldn't access the net...:rolleyes:

Did you create a User account on the Win 2000 machine and the Win XP machine for the Win 98 machines?

Go to Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Local Users and Groups - Users and create an account for the Win 98 machines.

hmm....how.... i follow ur path. is it then new user? i could fill in anything? do i have to browse to the specific win98 machine? or just create a new user, and any of the machines could access it when the win2k asked for the user & password, just type in the same one for every machines? or need at least 1 per machine? but it doesn't seem like i could specify which machine for which user..??

also, do i have to type in the user & password every time when any machine try to access a file in win2k machine? is there a way to set it auto so no more enter user & password again, like win98 to win98 no need to enter everytime?

sorry, i'm kinda new in this.....

The way my network is set up each computer has an account on each other computer. The account name is the Computer name.

Each account has Adminstrator rights.

For example:
comp A is Tom
comp B is ****
comp C is Harry

On Comp A, create accounts for **** and Harry.
On Comp B, create accounts for Tom and Harry.
On Comp C, create accounts for Tom and ****.

None of my computers accounts have passwords so I dont have to remember them (yes it works fine that way).
By using 'Client for Micro$oft Networks' as your Primary Network logon on each machine, when the computer starts up you logon onto the net and to each computer (provided they are all turned on).
Once this part is setup, share all the drives and map them from each machine.

OIC. sounds pretty simple.....

at least, now i got the idea.... create an account on the win2k machine for each of the other machines (98 & XP), and leave the password "blank" right?

i'll try it tonight and let u know.

tks for ur help!

Back