• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus announces AMD ARESII (dual 7970 one PCB)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Maybe they'll give me one at CES! (yeah right)
I'll look for it and get more pics if I can though. Assuming Asus is there of course.

I've always loved the Ares and Mars cards. Even though they're nothing that anyone not trying to blow cash would actually buy, I like the fact that they're making the baddest card money can buy just because they can.

Hahaha...They list the TDP of the ARES II and PowerColor's Devil13 as "A lot."

Ridiculously expensive but totally cool.

I love the look of these cards, I wonder if it is possible to order the casing for one of these bad boys. Furthermore I wonder if you could mount that on a stock 7970(which I highly doubt).

The mini fan on that massive shroud looks funny. A big fan probably isn't needed to cool whatever isn't water cooled, but it still looks odd. Maybe it's just the scale tricking me since the card is obviously going to be BIG.

The mini fan on that massive shroud looks funny. A big fan probably isn't needed to cool whatever isn't water cooled, but it still looks odd. Maybe it's just the scale tricking me since the card is obviously going to be BIG.

Yeah it does look a bit off, but I assume that the only size difference would be the thickness since the pcb would probably be the same length as a regular 7970.

Ridiculous. I mean, yes its cool, and the card looks sick, but the price is gonna be insane, on top of that, why? Too much to late i think.

Ridiculous. I mean, yes its cool, and the card looks sick, but the price is gonna be insane, on top of that, why? Too much to late i think.
That's what I was thinking. Why not bring this out 6 months ago? Shouldn't we just be a couple of months away from the next generation?

The coolest stuff about this card is to put it inside a mATX case which is totaly possible. Such a PC will truly become a powerhouse. However, do i need so much power? Nope... not me. So i can save up the bucks and simply wait for newer generations to arrive.

We have a software problem not a hardware problem. We will need a lot of games able to take advantage of such GPUs, else its simply a waste. I know, some people use such power GPUs for other stuff (GPGPU tasks and other calculations) but those people are still a minority because the other (GPGPU user) usualy dont need such a monster GPU.

Still, that GPU got max potential in mATX cases because of its heat management. It will basically use 2 ways of cooling. Direct and indirect. The indirect one will act as a case cooler at the same time and take away even more heat directly from the GPU without heating up case. Such a design is the future for mATX mini PCs, and surely is someday showing us on how to build stuff even smaller without the lack of cooling capabilitys. So its indeed a interesing card from Asus considering its lesson when it comes to its true potential. Soon people can have "movable" PCs with the power of a reactor, the kind of stuff usualy only builded inside very huge and close to immovable towers.

The electronics itself got no problem to handle all the current (its possible to put a 1200W PSU inside a mATX case), it mainly comes up to the heat management. Quality can be a problem too because most manufacturers of mATX got in mind that a mATX have to be junk because of its use. However, its possible to use much higher quality parts with much higher power, its a marketing prob. Power/quality users want big stuff and users of small systems dont care neither quality nor power. But anyway, its still fun to try out the possibilitys. ASrock is actually almost the only company building "good" mATX boards, all the others got in mind that only huge stuff need to be of good quality, thats the true mess.

A single Ares II is not the max a mATX could tackle, its possible to put 2 of them inside i guess. Because in theory 2 different slots are available in order to attach the 2 double fans to the case. The only requirement is not to exceed 2 slot each card which is the case (mATX board size is limited). The PSU cant be bigger than 1200W but a platinum rated 1200W is able to deliver the required juice, so it truly may open new possibility into extreme cm3/power ratio, prehaps world record for that category. It becomes possible with the implementation of the new micro WC tech. Using the old WC or aircooling it wont be possible anymore, either to less cooling or to much size.

Well 500W each GPU = 1000 W
130 W for the CPU
100 W for all the other stuff, its kinda like 1230 max W but a Corsair 1200i can handle that, it can go up to that number without getting damage or causing damage, so its possible. A good 1200W PSU can even exceed its rated number, especially when only a few additional W.

I dont think that the stuff is useful apart from tech hype trying to make something impossible possible, but its surely interesting to think about the new possibilitys. Its simply the same stuff a bencher is striving for, to achieve something no one ever achieved.

Last edited:
Well 500W each GPU = 1000 W
130 W for the CPU
100 W for all the other stuff, its kinda like 1230 max W but a Corsair 1200i can handle that, it can go up to that number without getting damage or causing damage, so its possible. A good 1200W PSU can even exceed its rated number, especially when only a few additional W.

Chill out with those calculations bro, im running 2x7970 on 750 watts, and its its enough. A single card would never use 500watts, they say, use a 500watt psu, but they have also calulated the rest of the system into that, and made headroom.

But i guess if i had the money it would look cool in HTPC. Still too much too late.

Ivy, as Pierre said, the 500W is for the whole system and not just the graphics card. The only way a single 7970 is pulling over 500W is under extreme cooling/benchmarking with LN2.

One advantage a dual GPU on a single GPU is that I would think it solves the micro-stuttering problem of SLI and CFX configurations. The same review that covered the Radeon latencies mentioned that dual GPUs have a similar pattern. A single GPU would allow it to perform better than some dually configured cards. http://techreport.com/review/21516/inside-the-second-a-new-look-at-game-benchmarking/9
The performance of any high end card is still going to be on average much better than a medium-range one, but the finer differences can be noticed too. It would be interesting to compare a 7990 with this dual 7970 PCB.

It's just CFX / SLI on one card. If you're going to have microstutters you're going to have them.

It's just CFX / SLI on one card. If you're going to have microstutters you're going to have them.

Well, I was referring to a scenario where all the bandwidth was going through one interface into the PCI-express lanes as opposed to a link interface that did cross-talk between the cards before being sent through their individual memory bus or whatever links directly the GPU core to the northbridge. I suppose its the same thing if there isn't a bridge that is more hardwired for less latency, operating in one "transfer/per both cards' processing units". Edit: one data transfer per synchronized clock cycle. though two GPUS invariably seem like they'll have different processing tasks that would need to be resync'ed according to the application.

Last edited:
these ASUS custom cards are like so badass.
I hope this one goes into production, cause MARS III got cancelled, and I was sad.

LOL, 1500 bucks for what you can get for 700ish with 2 cards.
No, you can not get two overclocked GPUs on the same PCB with an AIO watercooler with a two-slot footprint for "700ish."
It's a niche, premium product for a select few, but it is well worth its price.

Back