• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HD 8000 OEM cards rebadged HD 7000

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
this is going to screw up the second hand market :facepalm:

Not pleased, nor am I surprised, unfortunately.

I compared the specs of the 8970 to the 7970 and I'm not seeing as much improvement as I would have expected either... :(

Not pleased, nor am I surprised, unfortunately.

I compared the specs of the 8970 to the 7970 and I'm not seeing as much improvement as I would have expected either... :(

isnt that because they are the same thing? just the 8970 is oem? see im already confused those bastages

The "HD 8970" and "HD 8970 OEM" will be two different cards AFAIK, the rumours going around for the actual HD 8970 predict that it will have 2560 sp's, so I would expect ~25% minimum improvement, especially as the number of ROPS is guessed to increase by 50% - although I don't know how accurate these actually are...

Wait...what?
So put really simply...they're going to have OEM cards with next generation identification....that are current generation cards? Do I understand that correctly, did April come early this year?

Oh dear... Well im sticking to my GPU line up for a year or so anyway, but oh dear.. This is going to get confusing, and the nvidia fanboys are going to have a field day with this...

This makes me think does this mean that they will possibly introduce another line of GPUs? Because the more I think about it the less I really believe that AMD would do such a thing... Or maybe they would :shrug:

all this is a trick for ppl eho buy OEM computers it seems the normal market will be fine IE huge boost in FPS etc etc

^^ That's a pretty slimy move imo, seems like they are preying on the misinformed people who buy those systems to begin with...

Seems like this 8000 is the series to skip. It's kinda messed up but Im sure I will have it down pat in no time however it blows for folks who don't make a hobby of keeping up with this stuff. It would be easy for them to distinguish the OEM parts if they wanted to but they don't. Should tell us something there I guess. Lastly it's not like AMD is the only company to ever do this so Im not mad at them so much as the industry on this kinda thing.

Last edited:
i think the Main point ppl are Missing IT IS OEM GPUS NOT RETAIL
so the 89xx are not going to be the 79xx
were are talknig about Dell,HP and other computer makers (gateway? acer?)

i think the Main point ppl are Missing IT IS OEM GPUS NOT RETAIL
so the 89xx are not going to be the 79xx
were are talknig about Dell,HP and other computer makers (gateway? acer?)

QFT

This ONLY applies to prebuilt machines.

The 8000 series cards that all of us are buying are completely different cards.

QFT

This ONLY applies to prebuilt machines.

The 8000 series cards that all of us are buying are completely different cards.

Yes, we understand this but we obviously know what we are going to be buying. This is really an non-issue for us...

I still take issue with them renaming old cards simply due to the fact that people who buy OEM systems can't tell the difference. Not to mention the influx of threads we will get asking "why does my 8970 not perform as good as..." :rolleyes:

Back