• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New GPU causing instability?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WoodenKiwi

So yesterday afternoon I upgraded from a Sapphire 6850 to an XFX 7870 Double D. Before, I had no stability issues and hadn't had a BSOD or anything in ages.

Now however, 3 times so far have I let the PC idle for maybe an hour or two, and come back to it crashed. I am not sure what is causing the crash or even how it is crashing as it just seems to display no picture and be completely unresponsive while appearing to still be on.

Anyone ever experienced anything similar? Considering it is the only bit that has changed, I feel like it has to be related to the 7870 somehow. Any help would be awesome!

Assuming you're running Win7 or Vista, post the *.dmp file from the %systemroot%\minidump folder, or the corresponding critical info from the Event Viewer log. Open Event Viewer and expand Critical, Application, or System logs - under "Windows Logs" (or look under "Summary of Administrative Events--> Event Type--> Critical) double click the specific error from the last BSOD so it opens in the Summary Page Events window. Next click on Copy--> Copy Details as Text in the RH pane, and paste the contents of the ClipBoard in this thread.

Back