• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PWM, Pumps, Fans, and Aquaero 5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wyza

First time poster :).

I'm currently working on designing the 2nd water cooled system I've built. I learned a bunch the first time and also learned how much I didn't know. I've spent the last 2-3 months learning a great deal more.

Currently I'm planning on using PWM controlled fans and pumps both, but the information available for PWM hasn't answer my questions so far. I'm heavily considering using the Aquaero 5 for controlling and monitoring my system. The questions I have are:

1. How many times can you split a PWM signal before it degrades too much ? (followup, does the type of fan/pump make a difference, eg: are some fans/pumps better able to have a weaker signal than others?)
2. Should I use the same PWM signal for both the pump and fans?
3. If I can/should do #2, but can only split the signal, say 3 times. Is there a signal amplifier that can either be A: bought or B: built by someone with almost no experience building electrical components from scratch.

Thanks in advance

Why so complex? Few do that.

I have no clue, I know of only 3-4 people here that ever went to the expense and hassle. Out of the multitudes of watercoolers here or air coolers, that might help you decide.

Why? Other than helping you to not buy that uneeded stuff, I have no help.

Is PWM not significantly more efficient in terms of extra heat generated by the fan controller as opposed to lowering the voltage? If so, why not get an Aquaero LT (only 70$ which is only about 30$ more than a stand alone PWM controller), and have a bunch more automated control?

I mean I could use my Mobo's PWM signal, but I have read that the voltage on them is fairly low and can't be split too many times.

Obviously if PWM is not that good / efficient, then I can stick with the garden variety fan controllers, but I was under the impression of otherwise.

PWMs biggest advantage is the ability to automatically change speeds depending on load. There are a number of ways to take advantage of it. Personally I run a standard fan controller that takes my motherboard PWM input and uses that to drive NON PWM fans.

You motherboards PWM signal is only strong enough for 1 device, sometimes two.

There is a guide written by Bing on how to build your own PWM signal booster, not sure which section its in but Its probably in one of the stickies.

Back