• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it ok for me to OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

I have an i7 2600k sandy bridge, I just OC it the lazy man's way and hit the OC button in my ASUS motherboard's bios screen :p But I just use the stock fan that came with the CPU, think it will overheat? According to 3DMARK11 it was running at 4.43Mhz durring the test, I believe its stock boost clock is only 3.8 (going off of memory) so that is a rather hefty OC is it not?

4.43 on the stock cooler? That's either not stable under full load, overheating under full load, or you have like the top 0.1% of chips.

Oh the fan was loud, not spinning at 100% or anything but imagine an old xbox 360, kinda what it sounded like. Maybe it is just inaccurate. All I know is...holy cow, I can really tell a difference in Planetside 2. getting a full 60-120 fps! Let me think how I can check the clock on this thing, because windows just reads the base clock of 3.4Mhz, not the boost clock (which is kinda annoying).

EDIT:
Nope, even CPU-z reads it at 4.43, and that is just on the desktop :S Voltage jumps around from 1-1.2 when on the desktop.
I seriously have very little knowledge when it comes to OC, I just wanted to try it out and since the mobo has a function built into it to dynamically OC I thought I would try it. Bad idea?

Double EDIT:
I apologize, I meant Ghz not Mhz obviously :p

Last edited:
The real question is what are your temps like? I'm also wondering if this built in overclock feature is just a more advanced form of turbo boost. Is it running at 4.4GHz 24/7?

The real question is what are your temps like? I'm also wondering if this built in overclock feature is just a more advanced form of turbo boost. Is it running at 4.4GHz 24/7?
Pretty sure thats only when boost is needed. I get the same 4.43ghz when I use my mobo's over clock feature instead of the bios.But it idles at 1.6ghz or something like that.The 4.43gz gives you a nice boost for sure.But I think its better than running. 4.43ghz at all times .Less stress on the CPU etc
JMO

Yeah I turned it back down, I was getting 90C after turning on a CPU intensive game for only a couple minutes.

You really need a aftermarket heatsink to enjoy the benefits of hitting the overclocked sweet spot for gaming.

Back