• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's the best anti-virus software?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Krusty

Insane Overclocking Clown
Since my copy of Norton Anti-virus expired and can no longer update it, I am now looking to find out what the best anti-virus software is that's out there.

I am looking for 3 main features:
1. Updates to keep me protected from new stuff
2. Low cpu usage. I don't want to be using tons of power to watch for accidental virus downloads that rarely happen
3. oops, I forgot what my third is. Guess I should not post until I'm completely awake in the morning.

my guess is #3 had something to do with price. i have heard AVP is the best but i dont have it, and dont know how to use it. i use norton and am ****ed that i have to pay for the updates...

I've had really good luck with Trend Micro's PC-cillin 2000. It notifies you when updates are available, and can automatically download them if you want it to. It has a really straightforward interface and isn't too much of a cpu hog. I've used Norton and Mcafee antivirus programs also in the past very extensively, and PC-cillin is by far my top choice.

i am running norton 2k2 but i would love to get my hands on the new version of Panda.

pcgirl said:
I've had really good luck with Trend Micro's PC-cillin 2000. It notifies you when updates are available, and can automatically download them if you want it to. It has a really straightforward interface and isn't too much of a cpu hog. I've used Norton and Mcafee antivirus programs also in the past very extensively, and PC-cillin is by far my top choice.

Oh, that reminded me of what my third question was about! Pc-cillin came with my new 8kha+, so I installed it. For some reason, there are like 3 different programs pc-cillin runs that is always trying to access the internet through my firewall. That is one of those things that bugs me. I don't like programs calling home or doing stuff without my permission.

Any chance that you know what the different parts of pc-cillin trying to access the net are supposed to be doing? I am not sure what I should be blocking and what I should be allowing.

Krusty said:

Any chance that you know what the different parts of pc-cillin trying to access the net are supposed to be doing? I am not sure what I should be blocking and what I should be allowing.

I leave the web security and web filtering features turned off all the time. I had them enabled awhile back and it really slowed down my internet connection....when I turned them off, everything was back to normal.

I run AVG. uses very low system resources it is free and they email you when updates are available. You can update from within the program to make it easy.

Computer Associates - Innoculan. You have to figure that if they write the fixes, they have to know how to prevent them...Or atleast provide the quick updates...

Back