• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

More PPD for AMD in the near future?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

I stumbled across this blog post from FAH today and it looks like they have a new programmer who is going to put forth some effort toward trying to speed up AMD simulations. Hopefully, faster simulations will equate to more PPD for AMD GPUs. I'm going to be upgrading my GPU soon and really want to get an AMD card, but was hesitating due to the lower PPD compared to nVidia cards. Hopefully AMD cards will be able to catch up to nVidia in PPD production with some future updates from FAH.

Here's the blog post.
http://folding.typepad.com/news/2012/12/meet-new-fah-gpu-programmer-yutong-zhao.html

If you are intending to fold on your new GPU do yourself a favor and go for an Nvidia product despite the advantages of AMD price/performance. Nvidia is already terrible PPD/W as it is and AMD is much worse. It pains me to write this because I'm a looonnnggg time AMD fanboy (reformed), but it's just the way it is atm. And I wouldn't hold my breath for a new AMD optimized core anytime soon. Those fellows at F@H can't even implement a quick return bonus for gpu's more than a year after the initial announcement.

If you are intending to fold on your new GPU do yourself a favor and go for an Nvidia product despite the advantages of AMD price/performance. Nvidia is already terrible PPD/W as it is and AMD is much worse. It pains me to write this because I'm a looonnnggg time AMD fanboy (reformed), but it's just the way it is atm. And I wouldn't hold my breath for a new AMD optimized core anytime soon. Those fellows at F@H can't even implement a quick return bonus for gpu's more than a year after the initial announcement.

You're right. That's how it's been. But with a new developer on board specifically focusing on improving the folding client for GPUs, there is at least some hope. That's all I'm saying.

Back