• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Best 3570k cooler for Zalman Z11 Plus case <£50

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MakoShark

Registered
I'm going to be upgrading to a 3570k soon and I am trying to find the best cooler I can for less than about £40-£50 that will fit in my Zalman Z11 Plus. Whilst the stats say that the case is 260mm wide, the main part of the case is only 200mm wide so space is a bit limited.

I would go for a Thermalright True Spirit 140 but I don't think it will quite fit at 170mm tall, unless the cpu socket is far enough down on an ASRock Extreme 4 for the cooler to be under the window, which bulges out allowing for quite a lot more height.

Other alternatives I was looking at:
  • Hyper 212 evo
  • Thermalright HR-02 Macho
  • Hyper 612S

I've had a look through those and the Enermax ETS-T40 seems to be the best. However, I've looked through a few other benchmarks and it seems to be only slightly better than a Hyper 212 Evo, which is cheaper, and worse than a Thermalright HR-02 Macho, which is about the same price. It does look very good though with the LED lighting. Would fit in with my case and existing lighting very nicely.

Am I perhaps overthinking this when there is likely to be only a few degrees difference between most coolers in my price range?

A Corsair H80i or H100i are way outside my budget I'm afraid.

Am I perhaps overthinking this when there is likely to be only a few degrees difference between most coolers in my price range?
Absolutely, yes. Hyper 212+ Evo is best bang for your buck. You are no breaking any records so why pay more?

The Hyper212+/Evo isn't worth it for the UK, you can get the TRUE Spirit 120 which performs better for less.

For that price range, I'd grab a Prolimatech Armageddon with a Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850RPM.

Looks good but is probably the limit of what I can afford, and I won't know until early next month exactly what my budget is.

So in case I can't afford that, can you post a link to the TRUE Spirit you were referring to? I think you meant this one, but I'm not sure.

I was thinking I would go for an Enermax ETS-T40-TB as the non-LED version (which actually has a better fan) is just a couple of pounds more than the 212 evo, is supposed to be slightly more efficient and considerably easier to install.

Thanks for all the help so far :)

Last edited:

Whilst they don't actually say, as far as I can tell that would appear to be the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120 which is apparently almost completely identical to the Cogage True Spirit 120 that Knufire linked.

Here is their review of the Thermalright TRUE Spirit 120. The temps they get are almost the same as the ones from Thermalright TRUE Spirit they use in the review you linked, suggesting they are the same.

That's the one I will probably get then as the Thermalright HR-02 Macho is a little more than I can probably afford.

Last edited:
Greetings MakoShark and lovely Dorset, While waiting to make up you mind on a Cooler i wanted to post this for a Fellow Brit! This is a list of Air and Water coolers that you can look at and check out the Sizes as well. AJ.

1, http://www.techspot.com/products/cooling/

Take a look and enjoy!

I think I have now decided (with a fair amount of certainty) to go for a Thermalright True Spirit 120 from OverclockersUK for £25.

It appears to be a very capable cooler for the price, Knufire really seems to rate it's old version and the newer version is slightly better. As it is also quite cheap, It might leave me with a little bit spare in my budget so I may be able to go for the ASRock extreme 6 instead of the 4.

Thanks for all the help everyone :)

Cogage is just a subbrand of Thermalright, it wouldn't surprise me if they were the same. AFAIK, the Thermalright MUX-120 is also mostly identical.

I think I have now decided (with a fair amount of certainty) to go for a Thermalright True Spirit 120 from OverclockersUK for £25.

It appears to be a very capable cooler for the price, Knufire really seems to rate it's old version and the newer version is slightly better. As it is also quite cheap, It might leave me with a little bit spare in my budget so I may be able to go for the ASRock extreme 6 instead of the 4.

Can't go wrong with your choices.

It is a very capable cooler. The first of this line started way back in 2006
with the original Ultra 120 4 pipe cooler
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article646-page1.html

http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Products/thermalright_ultra120/

Back