• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED which hd 7970??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

matt2950

so think i blew the vrm's on my 7950 this morning having a computer shop take a look at it to make sure, but there was smoke and bad noises so doesn't look good :(

i will get a 7970 if it cant be repaired but i have a universal watercooling block ready to go so dont need to pay extra for cooling

i was wondering if any types of 7970 were better than others in terms of how high you can overclock?

Wow Matt how did you manage that? And if your going to use a water block i think the members would say. You need a reference card so you can fit the block onto it. AJ.

so think i blew the vrm's on my 7950 this morning having a computer shop take a look at it to make sure, but there was smoke and bad noises so doesn't look good :(

i will get a 7970 if it cant be repaired but i have a universal watercooling block ready to go so dont need to pay extra for cooling

i was wondering if any types of 7970 were better than others in terms of how high you can overclock?

First off, RMA it, and second off, what make was it? Cooling? OC?

As for 7970, is really doesnt matter much if your going WC. Get the cheapest Ghz model and overclock it sky high. :thup:

is was a sapphire hd 7950 vapor x oc edition. i was fitting new heatsinks to the vrm's nothing complicated just take old ones off put new ones on. then as soon as i turned on pc i got crackling noises then smoke

I personnaly do love the reference design which requires only two slots instead of three in the ASUS design for example.
For the cooling, as far as I know, there is a small metal plate around the GPU which is slightly thicker than the chips and prevent the cooler with flat basis to be efficient.
Be careful and double check it if your actual cooler is really compatible with the 7970 :thup:

I guess yes: any brand is fine as long as it is the reference design, companies have to follow strictly AMD's spec :D

This one is a reference design too with a different cooler (don't care much about it since you will remove it :thup:)

reference design

Taking into consideration the conversion euro/ £, it could be a good deal, let's check if you can find it in the same range in your currency ;)

PS: GHz edition is useless if you can find cheaper without. The GHz is such a piece of cake to achieve with these cards :thup:

the thing annoying me the most is that im setting up 3 monitor eyefinity and i just ordered a active dp-hdmi adapter but all the 7970's i look at are mini dp so i'll have to order a new on of them too lol

the thing annoying me the most is that im setting up 3 monitor eyefinity and i just ordered a active dp-hdmi adapter but all the 7970's i look at are mini dp so i'll have to order a new on of them too lol

Couldn't you just use the adapter on the HDMI port of your monitor and connect it with mini DP - DP cables?

Back