• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Partition Broken! help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cjwinnit

B&
Hey everyone - have an interesting problem a friend has brought to me but I'm not sure how to proceed...

-------

Setup:
Friend has a 1.5Tb SATA storage hard disk with (originally) a 1.5Tb NTFS partition on, plugged internally into SATA channel 1. Boots Windows XP off another SATA disk in channel 2.

Event:
He plugs in a blank 80Gb PATA hard disk into PATA channel 0 as master and boots the system up Suddenly the data on the 1.5Tb is unreadable and only reports that his partition is 80Gb!

Unplugged the drive and gives it to me. I clone the entire drive onto a 2Tb SATA drive to examine. Run the backup in Gparted on Linux which reports the 80Gb partition. It's even reporting the correct name for the partition - it would seem that the partition was resized through an error. Shows the remaining 1.75Tb space as unallocated.

I then run "Device --> Attempt Data Rescue". The program chugs along for half a day and reports at the end that it can't see any other partitions.

Information in Gparted for /dev/sda1 is as follows:

-----------------------

Filesystem: ntfs
Size: 74.53 GiB

Path: /dev/sda1
First Sector: 63
Last sector: 156299375
Total Sectors: 156299313

WARNING:
$MFT LCN (786432) or $MFTMirr LCN (183142000) is greater than the number of clusters (19537414).
Failed to mount 'dev/sda1': Invalid argument.
The device 'dev/sda1' doesn't have a valid NTFS.

ntfsresize v2.0.0 (libntfs 10:0:0)
Failed to parse ntfs bootsector: Invalid argument.
Failed to startup volume: Invalid argument.
ERROR(22)
Unable to read the contents of this ntfs filesystem!

----------------------

Thoughts? Can i simply change the size of the partition while preserving everything else?

Last edited:
... Suddenly the data on the 1.5Tb is unreadable and only reports that his partition is 80Gb!

This. Seems to me something happened between booting and "suddenly". Did your friend try any operation in disk manager before the drive was "suddenly" repartitioned?

Back