• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How much will linux and OCing increase PPD?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

I've got my FX-8320 in my sig folding 24/7 right now in Windows 7 and I'm getting around 16K PPD. I've seen some people in the forums talking about how folding on linux produces more PPD. I'm wondering... how huge of an increase is that? If it's significant then I might be willing to setup my rig to dual boot with linx/Win7. If it's only a ~5% increase or something small then I probably won't.

My second question has to do with overclocking and PPD. Currently I'm running my rig at 4.2GHz because it stays nice and cool and I can run that at stock voltage. However, I could get it up 4.6GHz for folding if I wanted without a huge voltage bump or increase in temps. Hypothetically speaking, if I were to increase my overclock by 400MHz, how much would that boost my PPD?

Just curious :)

I don't have hard numbers on what my actual increase was but it was worth it to me to run F@H in linux. On my main rig I run it in a virtual machine which isn't as good as native linux but still better than windows and that way I also don't have to dual boot, I just pause the VM when gaming or a few other things it interferes with.

Linux does increase your PPD, but it is not a huge amount. I forget how much it gives you, maybe 5-10%. I would suggest simply try increasing your overclock and see what PPD you get, and the temps you get. Then you can decide if it is worth it.

If you not going to run it 24/7 it's not worth the time. Every time you would boot to Windows you lose any advantage. That OC on that chip isn't going to amount to much.

I wouldn't do it myself, taking into account the downsides you mentioned heat and increased electric.

Your do for an upgrade!:thup: A new GPU would double your CPU PPD.:)

If you not going to run it 24/7 it's not worth the time. Every time you would boot to Windows you lose any advantage. That OC on that chip isn't going to amount to much.

I wouldn't do it myself, taking into account the downsides you mentioned heat and increased electric.

Your do for an upgrade!:thup: A new GPU would double your CPU PPD.:)

Yea, I know... I've been looking at a GTX 560 Ti. I really want to get an AMD GPU but unless they start producing more points really soon then I might have to go with nVidia again.

I don't keep records from last year, but when I switched from v7 to v6 LinuxVM on my AMD Deneb I enjoyed almost a constant 20% increase in PPD give or take. My understanding of the newer AMD processors is that they are a power hog on OC. I would be interested to see your PPD/watt increase or decrease if you decide to try the OC.

Back