• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Airflow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

David

Forums Super Moderator
I seem to have an airflow problem - my CPU reaches 45C on a good day, and can get to 48C. The layout is as follows. Where should I put the fan? There are 4 places I am considering, but which would be more effective? (red, green, blue, yellow).

Iron Hawk said:
put an intake at yellow, and an outtake fan at blue

I only have one working fan - the other one doesn't work properly and sounds like a dying cat.
I had an exhaust at blue, but the case temp hit 30C (only 26C now) and the CPU was at 48C.

well, for now i would move it around and look at your temps to see what works best, also i would place an order for a few fans.

Iron Hawk said:
well, for now i would move it around and look at your temps to see what works best, also i would place an order for a few fans.

I only have a 300W PSU but I'll get a couple more fans tommorrow. Thanks :D.

300W is more than enough power to run 4-5 cooling fans. The PSU fan and the one below it should be blowing out. The bottom right fan should be an intake....the bigger, the better. You can add a blowhole on the bottom left (92mm or 120mm) and maybe a 92mm or 120mm exhaust fan up top. That seems to be the most popular setup these days.

I'd mount a cooling fan right over the CPU and have some exhaust ports at the front of the case or the rear at the bottom. If you use exhaust fans, make sure they're slightly less powerful than your intake fans.

rossd.

It matters where your PC is too. If the back of it is crammed into a tight space, a fan there will do a big fat nothing. The PS fan is pulling air past the CPU, but remember if air has no place to go a fan will stil spin, but it won't transfer much heat. Air is a wuss under pressure.

One of the most common ways to be sure cool air gets into the case is an intake through the front, lower vent but you still need an exhaust path!

Thanks for all the help. I'll get 2 more fans today and stick an exhaust at the back and an intake bottom front.
I'll also move the back away from the wall a bit :)

Stuck another two fans in there: no difference. I think i'l just give up and get a better CPU cooler.

Success!

I have 'dangled' two fans over the CPU area. Quiet and reduces CPU temps by 4-5C and case temps 3C over a case with the side off.

Back