• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE Swiftech H220 LCS All-In-One Water Cooler Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclockers.com

During our recent trip to CES in Las Vegas, we had a great meeting with the guys from Swiftech. They had several items on display for us to look over, but their main reason for being at CES was to introduce the new H220 all-in-one water cooling system. You probably noticed the introduction to this cooler that was published on this website right after the conclusion of CES; and as promised by I.M.O.G., we're going to have a good look at this latest offering from Swiftech. There's little doubt all-in-one water cooling solutions are becoming increasingly popular among computer enthusiasts, and the co...
... Return to article to continue reading.

Nice article Dino, thanks for giving us the run through.

On the fluid mixture, Swiftech had stated production units will be 90/10 water/hydrx for the fluid mixture. :thup:

FWIW, the only other review out currently is from xcpu.com, a site I wasn't previously familiar with. Their results put the Swiftech unit about 8C better than the H100i under load though, so they likely had something wrong with their test setup... Even in Swiftech's own demonstration the temperature difference was much smaller than that.

If you want to look at their results and make your own conclusion, here it is: http://www.xcpus.com/reviews/corsair-h100i-vs-the-swiftech-h220

I also have the nzxt kraken x60 and an I7 3770k that I can provide some information with. before I can do that I have to get my windows updated, and will need all the info I can get from you to try and keep everything even. ala- what heating utility, I see voltage was 1.3v @ 4.5ghz.
I should note that intel burn test seems to not really heat a chip in win7-64 without service pack1 installed- the temps seem to be about 8-10c lower without sp1.
if you want me to attempt to match your test bench let me know.

As a basic WC setup for expansion this looks pretty good.
Using it as-is, $20 more for the same performance as a h100i seems a bit silly, especially when you get the h100i's control software and such.

It's nice to see a real pump and hoseclamps though, that's new and different, and promising.

the fact that it is serviceable and expandable has to be worth something. I am interested in that unit. just couldnt wait for the timeframe they have stated.
I called them and was told that they are around 6 weeks out from having units available for retail.

We all know once you start down the water cooling path, the bug soon follows. The upgrade path the H220 offers is well worth the extra $20/$30 imho.

Great Review by overclockers and job well done by swiftech! :thup:

I would buy that kit just for that price knowing the pump is 4 times (imo) stronger than competitors, the CPU block is similar to my high performing XT (I have v2), they didn't mix any alluminum, great fans (I have 7 of them), Swift radiator (Can't go wrong with that), changeable liquid along with the tubing and of course the upgradable feature of adding blocks or radiators or both but of course I think you'll run to a limit (thats a whole other test) before you effect the flow rate and temps.

Overall I think this is a great product for a novice and for the enthusiasts putting it in his/her folding/gaming secondary or third PCs instead of spending big cash like they did on their first.

Last edited:
Nice job. Great pics.

Is the pump/block unit made to be opened for cleaning and then re-assembled by the consumer, like a regular pump? The epoxy part confused me a bit.

Saw one minor typo this morning. About 2/3 down just above Testing are 4 photos. The sentence above that has H200 instead of H220. The good writing made it fun to read too. Thanks. :)

Yes, you can get to all the important parts of the pump without any big deal... The epoxy was used in the housing to dampen pump noise according to swiftech.

I also think this is the unit to go with if you are doing all in one. You have an upgrade path with this, and once you are already on water the temptation to go further seems strong. With an h100i, or any AIO like that, you would have to sell it to offset the cost of buying everything you need for a water loop.

Also, the temps we are working with are obviously within a couple degrees. Comparing temps across systems is complicated, mounting quality varies, room temp is coarsely maintained... This confirms performance of the units is very close, but fundamentally, the components making up the swiftech unit are better. More importantly to most people, the corsair unit uses higher rpm fans and will go louder than the swiftech unit under full load.

The demo at CES showed this pump running 2x gtx 680 with an extra radiator in the loop as well. No data on flow rates, but at the end of the day, temps stayed steady under load in an acceptable range... That's two additional GPU blocks and a radiator creating more resistance.

Nice job. Great pics.

Is the pump/block unit made to be opened for cleaning and then re-assembled by the consumer, like a regular pump? The epoxy part confused me a bit.

Saw one minor typo this morning. About 2/3 down just above Testing are 4 photos. The sentence above that has H200 instead of H220. The good writing made it fun to read too. Thanks. :)
Thanks for catching the typo, it's fixed now.

As far as "being made" to disassemble, it's certainly easy enough to accomplish and if done correctly there is no danger of harming the unit.

All they did with the epoxy is apply it over the pump area shown it that picture. It's nothing high tech, just a unique way to try and hold noise down.

Thanks!

Hey gents! Great review and just wanted to comment about my review you linked over at XCPUS.com... The H100i we tested with was setup in a different system located in a different part of the country. We tried, as you did with yours, to keep things as near identical as possible to obtain our testing results. The cases were different (Corsair 650d vs Silverstone Raven 2), so that could have impacted performance results as well. Bottom line, though, as shown in your review, the H220 cools better. I am personally getting Corsair's H110 to do a direct comparison, so that will be a much more accurate review of the two units.

Thanks,
Kris

I'm pretty sure the copper radiator and better flow coupled with a nice block will outperform the other AIO's if tested on a higher heat load, say like an I7 950 at 4.2ghz and 1.45v or a 3930k oced. The 3770k doesn't heat things very much, it just has a bad thermal interface to the ihs.

the corsair unit uses higher rpm fans and will go louder than the swiftech unit under full load.
I can't comment on how loud the H220 fans were, but I can
confirm that the H100i fans @ 100% are LOUD!

The H100i is going into my daily now and it will not get over 50% fan speed and I am not that bothered with noise, so that should say something about how loud they really are.

I'm pretty sure the copper radiator and better flow coupled with a nice block will outperform the other AIO's if tested on a higher heat load, say like an I7 950 at 4.2ghz and 1.45v or a 3930k oced. The 3770k doesn't heat things very much, it just has a bad thermal interface to the ihs.

I'm sure of that too, good point.

Nice review. From every perspective. I'll toss out all the names that contributed as "adjunct attaboys" :thup: .

How long before the rest of the AIO marketeers take a mulligan and start to kick out some more versatle units? Can't let Swiftech hang out there with this unit too long by it's lonesome.

Also, I'm gussing -> 3/8" tubing to any Manufacturer's GPU WC block add-on that will comply? Or has Swiftech indicated more expansion into that world as well ?

Back