• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there a way to view the source code of programs?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought reverse engineering programs was illegal?

This is an amazing story though, I'm sure most civilized western countries have anti-malware/identity theft laws though. Cool as hell...

I thought reverse engineering programs was illegal?

Why would it be illegal?

Using the obtained code to make and release a new program can be against copy right laws. Breaking encryption can be illegal in some countries.

Reverse engineering in it's most simple form is actually just implementing some interface or API, for example Linux machines connecting to shares might mean reverse engineering how Windows does it, but just creating all the code from scratch.

I guess some application might have terms and conditions forbidding looking at the source code, but generally those are accepted during install meaning they would not apply before then (and even if installed it can vary from country to another what they can actually demand from you).

Identity theft, which is what that program was attempting, is illegal almost everywhere.

Back