• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best 7970 for the money? First timer AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not that I have a 7970, but I do have a 7870 and running it at 1920x1080 @ 60Hz with all the eye candy full bore on a 40" 1080p HDTV as a pc monitor and I'm in luv!

Handles every game I've thrown at it quite nicely. I've been playing BF3 and Metro2033 without so much as a hick-up.

With either 7970 you buy, you will not be disappointed. Dual video cards are overrated unless you're running dual monitors. I was thinking of going with another 7870 for crossfire, but with a single video card I'm extremely satisfied.

If you haven't bought your video card, I bought this XFX 7970 today for $349($50 instant savings plus $30 MIR)

At that price, you won't regret it!

EDIT: Hmmm..I did a Google search by part number and found a thread saying there is no BIOS switch on this card. Can anyone confirm?

The tigerdirect price is very tempting, factor in no tax and cash back, pushes the price to under $320 (edit: i have free shipping), even if the voltage is locked and it has 1 DVI port that's a nice price.

XFX 7970 models are confusing...tigerdirect and newegg model descriptions don't match, even though they are the same model?
- FX-797A-TDFC @ $350 AR (tigerdirect)
- FX-797A-TDBC @ $370 AR (newegg)
- FX-797A-TDFC @ $380 AR (newegg)

XFX 7970 (XFX FX-797A-TDBC) on newegg for $369.99 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586

or $379.99 AR for XFX FX-797A-TDFC at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150596

Also the SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970 at newegg is back in stock @ $369.99 AR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

Last edited:
The tigerdirect price is very tempting, factor in no tax and cash back, pushes the price to under $320 (edit: i have free shipping), even if the voltage is locked and it has 1 DVI port that's a nice price.

XFX 7970 models are confusing...tigerdirect and newegg model descriptions don't match, even though they are the same model?
- FX-797A-TDFC @ $350 AR (tigerdirect)
- FX-797A-TDBC @ $370 AR (newegg)
- FX-797A-TDFC @ $380 AR (newegg)

XFX 7970 (XFX FX-797A-TDBC) on newegg for $369.99 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150586

or $379.99 AR for XFX FX-797A-TDFC at newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150596

Also the SAPPHIRE 100351SR Radeon HD 7970 at newegg is back in stock @ $369.99 AR:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814202008

Damn! I wanted the sapphire at newegg but there was no stock so I end up ordering the gigabyte at $399.

Damn! I wanted the sapphire at newegg but there was no stock so I end up ordering the gigabyte at $399.

Yea I was watching that card as well, for me its between the XFX @ ~$317+games or the sapphire @ ~$355 w/no games.

Is the sapphire worth the extra $38 and no games (worth ~$20-25?) over the XFX?
Sapphire seems to OC very well...

Yea I was watching that card as well, for me its between the XFX @ ~$317+games or the sapphire @ ~$355 w/no games.

Is the sapphire worth the extra $38 and no games (worth ~$20-25?) over the XFX?
Sapphire seems to OC very well...

I believe the final price for the XFX is $350 after rebates.

I believe the final price for the XFX is $350 after rebates.

Using different cash back websites and credit card cash back it will currently net you 5-9% back with tigerdirect purchases, hence the lower price for me...if I sell the games it would be under $300...

Using different cash back websites and credit card cash back it will currently net you 5-9% back with tigerdirect purchases, hence the lower price for me...if I sell the games it would be under $300...

You can't beat that! I'll give you $10 for the far cry s/n :p

I was thinking on the drive home about this thread, and really there isn't a one and only GPU manufacturer. Competition has driven quality up through the roof over the past decade. I took a few things into account when I picked the 7970 I wanted (not in any order)

1. Aftermarket Cooler w/ Reference Design - I'm planning on going H20 down the line, so I wanted a reference card, but wanted solid air temps until I go water.
2. Warranty - Need at least 3 years, lifetime is bonus. I want to make sure the card is covered for when I use it and that it's transferable to the person I sell it to when it's time to upgrade.
3. $$$$ - Not much to elaborate on this one; Free games, rebates, whatever makes the price better.

I had a 4th but there was traffic and I forgot :p

Enjoy your new card, and toss up some pics when you get it installed!

I was thinking on the drive home about this thread, and really there isn't a one and only GPU manufacturer. Competition has driven quality up through the roof over the past decade. I took a few things into account when I picked the 7970 I wanted (not in any order)

1. Aftermarket Cooler w/ Reference Design - I'm planning on going H20 down the line, so I wanted a reference card, but wanted solid air temps until I go water.
2. Warranty - Need at least 3 years, lifetime is bonus. I want to make sure the card is covered for when I use it and that it's transferable to the person I sell it to when it's time to upgrade.
3. $$$$ - Not much to elaborate on this one; Free games, rebates, whatever makes the price better.

I had a 4th but there was traffic and I forgot :p

Enjoy your new card, and toss up some pics when you get it installed!

It's going to be cfx and will post the pics!

By the way, Amazon this morning lowered the prices in both the Video cards and the samsung drives. The gigabyte cards are now $380 and the 250 840 drives are 150. Thanks Amazon for the 7 day price change policy I'm getting the refunds... This morning I was really pissed but I was easily solved with 2 emails to the customer support.

By the way, Amazon this morning lowered the prices in both the Video cards and the samsung drives. The gigabyte cards are now $380 and the 250 840 drives are 150. Thanks Amazon for the 7 day price change policy I'm getting the refunds... This morning I was really pissed but I was easily solved with 2 emails to the customer support.

Good to hear about amazon, they are usually pretty good, the samsung 840 is a nice price, tempted to upgrade from my 120 GB SSD drive. Look forward to seeing pictures of the cards is crossfire.

Good to hear about amazon, they are usually pretty good, the samsung 840 is a nice price, tempted to upgrade from my 120 GB SSD drive. Look forward to seeing pictures of the cards is crossfire.

Will do, although I'll suck with my cpu under a standard cooler on it. FrozenCPU already has the h220 listed and you can subscribe so they will send you an email when they get stock. Damn, I shouldn't say that hahaha.

right now enthusiasts are reaping the benifits of AMD/ATI's Radeon brand being tarnished by years of questionable products. Though the 7XXX line is moderately superior to anything NVidea has on the market, AMD is forced to sell their superior cards at deep discounts due to the fact NVidea apparently STILL is outselling them even with cards x2 the price at the same performance level.

just a matter of time till people will start to flood to Radeon and the prices will start to go back up. Till then enjoy the insane deals on top flight gpus.

It wasn't moderately superior when it was first release. Performance was only comparable after numerous performance-enhancing driver updates and numerous price cuts. When Keplar was first released, it was by far superior to the 7xxx series.

It wasn't moderately superior when it was first release. Performance was only comparable after numerous performance-enhancing driver updates and numerous price cuts. When Keplar was first released, it was by far superior to the 7xxx series.

very true. when the 7xxx line came out, the drivers sucked and the cards only reached part of their potential. so yes... for a while the 6xx line was superior.

that said i was blown away to see a number of 7950 cards selling for less then 300... i mean $260 for a 7950? thats an insane amount of gpu for the cash

I was pretty much set on going with the 670's but that MSI 7950 on tigerdirect for 315 with the 3 free games tempted me to stick with ATI one more time. I read too many bad reviews of the XTX 7970 that even only 35 bucks more I'd rather have that MSI 7950.

I play a lot of older games too so I was worried about that stuttering caused by drivers that everybody has been talking about. I have noticed the same thing with certain drivers over the years with my 1950xtx and 4890 that I am still using.

Back