• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Core 2Duo E8400 at 4ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CalinXRocker

I have one at 3GHz, I tried multiple times to get it on 4GHz but it failed :-/
When i try to change VCore voltage I can see My current voltage and "Ignored"..... Pls help!
Specs:
Win8 Pro 64Bit
4GB DDR2 400MHz
nVidia GT430 1GB DDR3
Asus P5KPL-C/1600
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3GHZ

Are you using the stock HSF ?
4ghz should be more than doable on air with a good HSF
You problems might be comming from the ram you are using , they are only rated for 400mhz ( now they might oc fine to get you to 450x9 ) so first thing I would do is lower your Multi and see how far you are able to push your ram .

The ram is probably ddr2 800. He mixes that with 400.

The problem is the motherboard. To do 4ghz, the E8400 requires a 450mhz base freq.. His motherboard has a G31 chipset, which will never be able to go that high. 3600mhz, is probably the max attainable on this motherboard.

Good luck, the only one I've tested so far maxed out at 3.9GHz on an X48 board. My problem though, like yours, I believe to have been something in the motherboard. That board was a real PITA when it came to RAM settings, which was my problem.

And yes, your motherboard with the G31 chipset may be the limiting factor.

My G33 chipset board couldn't get my E8400 stable much above 380MHz FSB or so, and was finicky running at any speed above 333MHz. Not real good for overclocking, but I blame the board in that case too.

i know the e8400 i had before the one i have now did 3.6 stock voltage because the motherboard didnt have voltage controls. the one i have now is at 4ghz and 1.2v temps are only thing holding it back for some reason it gets up to ~70c with a xigmatek gaia :shrug:

all in all it really depends on the chip. also a board that isnt made to oc very well... well isnt gonna overclock very well.

can you change the vcore cpu pll and NB voltages? if not your not going to be able to get it.

The ram is probably ddr2 800. He mixes that with 400.

The problem is the motherboard. To do 4ghz, the E8400 requires a 450mhz base freq.. His motherboard has a G31 chipset, which will never be able to go that high. 3600mhz, is probably the max attainable on this motherboard.
I got it to 3.7 and it worked fine.

I feel your pain. Before I got my current i5 2500K at 4.5GHz with no tweaking at all I owned an E8400. I couldn't get it to even 3.4GHz because of my cruddy Asus P5N-D. My current Asus P8Z68-V/GEN3 rocks, though.:drool:

I have a p5k board and i got it to 445MHz no problem, i didn't even have to bump the NB voltage.

Look at your chipset and look at what other p5k boards have you shipset but allow over-volting in the bios. You may need to cross flash. When you cross flash, make sure you understand the differences between you board and the bios you are going to be using. For example, my bios doesn't support my onboard internet controller, so i just bought a pci internet card.

Also what revision (is that the right word?) is your chip. E0's overclock the best. I'm only E1/2 (can't remember anymore).

@ False Christian, I own an asus P5N-D and I have my E7300 doing 3.8ghz* stable 1.34v. I have had it up to 4ghz but I did not want to boost the vcore any higher to acheive stability. :p

1600mhz fsb 400mhz bus speed x 9.5 multiplier = 3800 mhz. :D xD

Back