• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm back, finally got rid of my 920 D0. Need recommendation for 3770k

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Well, it has been a very long 4 years with my i7-920 d0 and I couldn't wait for Haswell any longer. I got the itch to upgrade my rig. Rig is asus z77 deluxe with 3770k CPU.

Cooling is Noctua NH-D14
Ram is Gskill area 2133 cas 9

My question to my old OCF buddies is simple.
What is the maximum clock speed and voltage you would like to see me running on the noctua air cooler with a main purpose of gaming, video editing, and business applications. This will be a 24/7 rig that I would like to last me 3 years or so.
Since you all have had tons of experience with voltages and clock speeds on the 3770k, what should I be shooting for as average 24/7?

Thanks guys.

Dom

Last edited:
1.4-1.45v 24/7. I have to imagine that 4.5GHz will be a breeze. Keep LOAD temps (stress testing) at 90C or lower and all will be well.

Thanks for the response E Dog. Nice to see you are still posting over here.
So, I should be shooting for 4.5 GHz @ 1.4 vcore?
Ivy isnt capable of 4.5 at 1.30?

Thanks in advance bro!

Dom

I managed to get 4.5Ghz with 1.32v on my 3570k. The golden chips get 4.5Ghz (3770k/3570k) with 1.3v or less. I say adjust to 1.4v, get the 4.5Ghz then work your way down running p95 blend and see how far you can drop vcore.

Average chips I would say are 1.3v or less. Golden is 1.2v... I wouldnt start that high at 4.5Ghz personally, as you will have a lot longer route to drop. 1.3v is where I would start. If that doesnt boot, its easy to raise it than play the game of lowering it from a sky high 1.4v.

Kind of depends on the 3770k. For instance, mine ran 4.5GHz at 1.325V and anything lower and it would fail Prime95 Blend... To get to 4.7GHz for 12hr stability I had to run up the voltage to 1.385V. Now to get 4.9GHz post delidding I'm at 1.500V. The voltage scales really weirdly with these chips. I'm no where near the thermal limit at 1.500V (77ºC max temp across the cores) thanks to delidding. Keep in mind I'm on water (Swiftech X20-220 kit) which has a few differences to air so your voltages may be higher/lower depending on the chip and ambient air temps.

Your voltage just hit a wall... like all other chips do (not weird). :)

Yes.. I guess I was spoiled by my 945 and the fact that the voltage wall was well beyond what the chip would boot at for speed so the voltage scaled at least somewhat linearly up until it was no longer stable (anything beyond 3.825GHz). I knew of the voltage wall on the 3770k's, but it still perplexes me a little bit as to why it is where it is! :p

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I am going to start at 4.5 @ 1.325v and work up or down from that point. I have a feeling 1.325 will be a good starting point , may even be the 24/7 spot. Obviously everyone's 3770k is different so as soon as I get the delivery from newegg I will let everyone know how it went.

Ps- Nebs! You are the man. Long time no speak brotha.

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I am going to start at 4.5 @ 1.325v and work up or down from that point. I have a feeling 1.325 will be a good starting point , may even be the 24/7 spot. Obviously everyone's 3770k is different so as soon as I get the delivery from newegg I will let everyone know how it went.

Ps- Nebs! You are the man. Long time no speak brotha.

Yo Dom! Good to see you back! Keep us posted on the delivery. 1.325v is a really nice starting point. I'm sure you'll enjoy your new setup as you always seem to get those awsome toys! :D

Btw check your pm ;)

Back