• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS ARES II Dual HD 7970 Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Quick 3DMark 11 run in tri-fire.

3dm11-trifire-23026-cwm.jpg

HWBot link.

Having trouble figuring out how to get more voltage to the DirectCU II, which is needed to run Heaven at these clocks. That'll take some more time later.

Id guess about as easy as installing a gpu and a small rad aio? Slot the gpu then mount the rad? Not sure but that is how I would do it!

hose's just looked a bit long to me. excess hose isn't a plus for me, seemed a bit much if it is supposed to be mounted at the 120mm rear?

They're long'ish, but not too long. Remember, it's coming from a GPU instead of a CPU, so the GPU tubing originates further from the rear 120mm fan hole. The other reason they're long is (probably) in the event you're using the rear fan hole for a CPU cooler, it might be able to reach to the top of the case from the GPU.

If it's too long for a given purpose, you could just turn the radiator a different direction, assuming no board / CPU cooler interference. :)

Okay, fair enough. You know better than I since you can see it first hand. I have a feeling that the tube length isn't the only thing not being done justice in photo. That's not saying your review photo's aren't good, just that it is one nice looking card.

If it helps, specs say the tubing is 13.4" long. By contrast, the H100's tubing is 12".

Those bench comparisions are just... Like you said, moderately well off need not apply. WOW!

But if you have a Lambo in the garage and your a PC hardcore addict, then this beast slays them all. This time with not one ring, but two!

Great writeup. Wish I had a Lambo so I could play with this. I'm sure the pics don't even come close to how it felt in your hands or the tests results. 0 to infinity in OMG seconds.

Lucky you, glad you had a chance to play with it. You had to send it back didn't you?

If not. You better be building a rig for it.

They're long'ish, but not too long. Remember, it's coming from a GPU instead of a CPU, so the GPU tubing originates further from the rear 120mm fan hole. The other reason they're long is (probably) in the event you're using the rear fan hole for a CPU cooler, it might be able to reach to the top of the case from the GPU.

If it's too long for a given purpose, you could just turn the radiator a different direction, assuming no board / CPU cooler interference. :)

But a card like that deserves a nekkid tech stand so it can have spotlights and lasers to show it. A case would be like a car cover on a $1,000,000 car.

The way the heatsink is designed, I bet you could put two universal blocks in there and add it to a water loop.

Sadly, yes, it has to go back. I'm awaiting shipping instructions. In the mean time, it's getting a bit more torture with the new 3DMark that's being released Monday. :)

wow.....would love to try and squeeze one of those into my mItx build hahaha.
Great review :thup:

Well, this is going to be the ARES II's last hurrah in my hands. Tis slated to return to ASUS as soon as the proper department sends me a shipping label. It was fun while it lasted. :)

heaven-trifire-6141.203-cwm.jpg

HWBot link. That's only 47 marks short of our 4x team record. :)

Back