• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FRONTPAGE ASUS ARES II Dual HD 7970 Video Card Review

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
argh dat card be sexy :drool: p.s. nice review hokie :)

Nice review hokie!

Gorgeous card, but that is soooo expensive!

Are you going to trifire bench as well?!

Yep. Just installed the driver at lunch. Hope to have tri-fire benches by the end of the week. 'ish. Depends on how long ASUS lets me play with it.

Man that card is one sexy beast, excellent review Hokie :thup:

I'm surprised to see the 6990 lag so far behind, I assume this is all due to drivers? Or were those old benchmarks?

Man that card is one sexy beast, excellent review Hokie :thup:

I'm surprised to see the 6990 lag so far behind, I assume this is all due to drivers? Or were those old benchmarks?

Due to drivers partially. The last time I rebenched that one was with Catalyst 11.x. Regrettably, time to rebench every time a new driver comes out is not something I possess.

That and the performance drivers do not effect the 6xxxx series anyway. Im sure there are some improvements to be had with drivers on the 6 series since then, but nothing like the 12.11 beta's did to the 7xxx series.

Due to drivers partially. The last time I rebenched that one was with Catalyst 11.x. Regrettably, time to rebench every time a new driver comes out is not something I possess.

Understandable, but as ED mentioned I really doubt they would have made that much of a difference anyways.

So two GTX 670s would bench higher than it?

Lol, AMD.

Depends on the benchmark, looking at HWBot comparing water cooled results with 2x7970 and 2x670 the 7970s win.

Checked 3dm11, heaven, and 3dmVantage and the best results (dual 7970s) won by several thousand points.

7970's beat 680's in benchmarking for the most part. Especially ambient... They can overclock with voltage control and can be pushed much higher than Kepler cards, not to mention tessellation can be disabled on AMD too. :)

So two GTX 670s would bench higher than it?

Lol, AMD.

As pointed out, that's a negative.

Top 2x GTX 670 results on the bot:
Heaven Xtreme - 4322.31
3DMark 11 - 17893

My ARES II results:
Heaven Xtreme - 5333.04
3DMark 11 - 18576

I didn't beat the best results in Vantage & 03 though, but my CPU wasn't too heavily overclocked at only 4.8 GHz.

EDIT - Interestingly, beating the top GTX 670 result on the bot in Heaven Xtreme didn't even require tessellation to be turned off. My overclocked score with tessellation on was 4452.353. The CPU was only at 4.0GHz too, not that it makes a lot of difference in Heaven.

Last edited:
Excellent review as always! I have to say that is one of the nicest GPU's I have ever seen, even compared to the other ROG products.

Back