speaker wire alternative?

can solid house wireing be suplemented for good quality speaker wire? Would it almost be as good a coaxial?

anyone?

I've never tried solid core wiring for speaker wire, don't know if you would have a prob with interference, if I had a choice I'd rather go with a stranded core coaxial.

My 2cents

Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior Wicked Klown's Avatar
    Don't use solid wire. The current runs on the outsides of the wires the more wires the more flow. Found that out while doing DB drag racing.
    Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus

in that case i think i'll get some thick multi-strand, but before i do would having more current be better for quality or volume? would there be an advantage to one big thick wire? if so what?

More current is better for quality as well as volume. The more current getting to a speaker makes it so you can play it louder obviously, but it also makes a more reliable power source so when you are playing it loud it won't destort. The best example I can think of is with a subwoofer in a car. If you have an amp that doesn't supply all the power the bus demands at a certain volume then the sub will start to distort because it isn't getting reliable enough power sent to it.

Shawn
    E5300 @ 3450 266X13
    4GB PC1066
    Geforce 9400GT
    Nec 3520 DVD Burner
    Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
    Windows 7 Home Premium

Heatware

I've heard of people using that thick (usually orange) extension cord stuff found at hardware stores for long speaker wire runs. i dont know if thats what you had in mind but its something to look into.
    Mobile Athlon XP 2600+
    Thermalright SLK-900A w/vantec tornado @5v
    Abit NF7-S v2
    PQI PC3200 2x256
    Western Digital 120Gb 8Mb cache
    ATI 9800SE
    NEC 2500
    Toshiba SDM_1212 DVD<- Finally died, she was a faithful beasts:p... Now back from the dead in another box thanks to an "organ donor"!!!

you can use whatever kind of wire you want for speaker wire pretty much.

For a while I was using 2awg power cable from my amp to my subs, it was all I had. Didn't sound too good but worked fine.

Big thick wire for speakers is only good up to a certain point, past there the internal resistance of the wire itself starts to mess with you. Electrically, its fine, but acoustically it ain't too good.

If you need to do a long run (100 foot +) go to a good stereo place, they will have tons of advice to give you. They have special types of cable for really long runs. If you are over 250 foot you get to use those cool +17v convertors

Senior Band Wagon Jumper CrystalMethod's Avatar
    The only problem I can think of offhand not to use the stuff is RF interference. Regular house wire is really suseptible(<-sp?) to RF noise.

you can use house hold wires.. you just have to make sure that the wires inside are stranded and not 1 whole piece...I use them as extensions to put my Creative LAbs DTT3500 around the top corners of my room.

Get the radio shack version of monster cable. Not exactly cheap, but it won't put you in the poorhouse and it should last forever.

Cal me crazy but I'd swear I noticed a difference.

thanx all here is what i finaly got. Went down to the local HW store and got some 50Feet of 99.9% pure copper speaker wire that is 99.9% oxygen free. sounds great with gold solder on all the connects

even the radio sounds good in 5.1 now

Hard Ass Southern Boy Senior Wicked Klown's Avatar
    Also if your running with two of your speakers behind you. You'll want to use a bigger awg wire then the ones to the front speakers.
    Media Server | Norco RPC-470 | GIGABYTE GA-890XA-UD3 | Phenom II X4 925 Deneb | 8gigs G.SKILL Ripjaws PC3 10666 | 64gig Crucial M4 | x2 2TB Samsung F3 | x2 1TB Samsung F1 | x1 2TB Samsung F4 | 500gigs Seagate 7200.10 | Sapphire HD4830 HDMI | Corsair 650hx

HEAT

"Never surrender. You're too much of a hardass to die on everyone." - Voodoo Rufus