• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

G.skill 2400 or 1600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soulwatch5

So as of right now I'm switching from my amd 1090t w/890fxa-ud5 to a 3770k w/asrock z77 extreme6 and was planning on using my 1600 ripjaw x for its ram. Link below.

Bought when it was on sale for like $30. Got me thinking I probably could sell them with my old cpu/mobo and pretty much get what I paid for them and then buy 2400 speed ram.

My question is would I really see any difference switching to the faster ram? All I do on my computer is surf the web, stream, watch videos and game. Not sure it's worth it to pay the extra money for the faster ram. Just figured now would be the time since it might be easier to sell them with my cpu/mobo. Plus it's cool to say you have 2400 speed ram.

Thanks in advance.

Ram is quite cheap, when i build a system for someone who dont game i install at kleast 1600mhz ram and when its for gaming, 2133 is my lowest goal.

You wont really "see" the difference in gaming but from 1600mhz to 2400mhz there is quite a jump in the bandwith and acces time. Barelly noticable in gaming ( read FPS ) but still faster.

You wont really "see" the difference in gaming but from 1600mhz to 2400mhz there is quite a jump in the bandwith and acces time. Barelly noticable in gaming ( read FPS ) but still faster.

If you won't see the difference...why spend the money?

39741.png

If you won't see the difference...why spend the money?

39741.png

Like ALOT of thing in computer world, just because you can ! And as i told, ram is cheap ... 2x4 1600 and 2x4 2133 are nearly the same price so why not have this little more speed/bandwith. If someone is really tight on budget... you cut everywhere you can but if the budget is OK, why not.

If i follow your post, we should just all have 1333mhz ram and be happy ! ;) :chair:

Entire article from which that came from: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

Yes, it's more bandwidth. But outside of benchmarking and other straight up calculations, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. If you want to spend more money to delete emotionally satisfied with the higher numbers, go ahead, but I'd rather not throw my money down the drain.

If the OP actually did something where higher memory speeds/bandwidth/lower access times actually resulted in a performance benefit, then I'd say go for it. But he doesn't.

Because you can spend the money doesn't mean you should or that it's in any way responsible to do so.

Entire article from which that came from: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4503/sandy-bridge-memory-scaling-choosing-the-best-ddr3

Yes, it's more bandwidth. But outside of benchmarking and other straight up calculations, it doesn't make any difference whatsoever. If you want to spend more money to delete emotionally satisfied with the higher numbers, go ahead, but I'd rather not throw my money down the drain.

If the OP actually did something where higher memory speeds/bandwidth/lower access times actually resulted in a performance benefit, then I'd say go for it. But he doesn't.

Because you can spend the money doesn't mean you should or that it's in any way responsible to do so.

I totally agree with you and my first post was already telling this.

Ram is quite cheap, when i build a system for someone who dont game i install at least 1600mhz ram and when its for gaming, 2133 is my lowest goal.

Anand only tested 2 games in the article and those two title are some GPU demanding one with a good part of CPU needs but there are bounch of title that may show some improvement from better memory speed.

Like shogun 2, 2 to 2.5fps from 1600 to 2400-2666mhz ram. ~7% improvement.
shogun.gif

Still barelly noticable for most games. But again, why not when its cheap !

:bang head:

1600 to 2666 is quite a price hike. Just because you think it's cheap doesn't make it any less of a waste of money when you compare it to the real world performance gain.

I'm sorry if I find that the "why the hell not" attitude to be something that is extremely stupid, illogical, and should be kept far away from spending money.

Advising people to spend money unnecessarily doesn't sit right with me.

Im not advising him to spend money, i told its barelly noticable in gaming. He ask if its worth it, i answer..... It BARELY worth it .... stop knocking your head to the wall.

2x4 Ripjaw 1600mhz : 44$ / 2x4 Ripjaw 2133mhz : 54$ / 2x4 Ripjaw 2400mhz : 65$
** canadian dollar, im looking at newegg.ca **

2400 seems a bit high and out of sense but 2133 isnt overpriced IMO. If you start looking for 2x8gb, this is another game... 2133mhz ram is much higher priced and 1600mhz is a much better price/bang.

Also, if the OP is swaping his CPU/Board, its sometimes easyer to sell a cpu/board/ram combo on the adds and buy a new cpu/board/ram.

If I was able to sell the ram at retail price, or close to it, I would diffenetly spend the extra $13 to get the faster ram but that isn't the case. The 2 fps gain isn't worth $40 it would end up costing me.

Also what does the text OP that you guys are using mean? Does that mean 'other person'. Only time I use the term OP is in game meaning something is over powered.

Also thanks for the response guys.

All I do on my computer is surf the web, stream, watch videos and game.

If you go Intel, there are definitely no valuable difference between 1600MHz and 2400MHz RAM. Bandwith of for very particular applications which you do not use.

If you stay AMD, there are a few more applications which benefits from RAM speed (more than 1% difference), but the compromise would be elsewhere and the final result wouldn't be the best it could be.

So: stay with 1600MHz RAM :thup:

Far better off spending the extra money on more GPU.
That $60 on a GPU would go a ways. On RAM, especially 2400-10-12-12 RAM, it won't do much.

Back