• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best 7970/7950 under water?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

funsoul

Hi folks
Thinking of grabbing a 7970 or pair of 7950's for the benching setup. How's this one?

Will run the card(s) under water and, of course, want to oc like mad.

Thoughts? Also...how much do you think would be a good price for that MSI card with waterblock?
Thanks!!

Every card is really a crap shoot my man... its only under sub ambient cooling where the extra power phases come in to play really. SO things like the 7970 Matrix, or Classified, or HIS 7970 X Turbo which all have uber beefy power bits shouldnt matter too much. Put it this way, the difference between the HIS 7970 X2 and the X Turbo was around 20-30Mhz iirc (check out my reviews on the card). That was on air, but temps were not an issue topping out at 55C I think on the X at 1280/1800 1.35v.

Another problem is that in my experience, and Hokie's, is anything over 1.35v causes artifacting (on my robust 7970 X Turbo too) anyway, so its not really a temp thing. Someone please correct that if I am wrong.

Last edited:
There are so many similar models (XFX) its tough to tell. I havent heard of any Giga's being locked though, nor EVGA, nor were any of my HIS cards.

If you're benching and hunting globals the 7950 is useless. 7970 or go home :D
Voltage control, of course, is a must.
I gather that modern GBT 7970OC cards are locked too :(

Back