• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Okay, I give up. COX cable, needing a modem/wireless router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Conumdrum

COX cable, needing a modem/wireless router (EDIT) UPDATE

Been searching for the best. And my fingers are tired.:cry:

My router can't do it anymore. My con speeds through the modem is 19ish, with the router 9ish when I swap cables etc. My router is getting old......... My service is 25+ download speeds or should be.:thup:

I have a house with 4 cat 6 cables, and wireless for my phones and I Mini Cool thing I won at a drawing. Games for the wife eh?:-/

Tech says DOCSYS 3 modem is what I should have. Basic HS Cox cable connection.

So, I need a wired/wireless router with built in DOCsys 3 modem. And a good wireless signal for an I5, I4, and a Igotacool gadget I Pad mini. :shrug:

I hear there are AIO modems worthy of my needs (AIO cuz I'm a WC guy).

Please help me. Searching is as bad as figuring out rads and Dt for a new guy. I'm trying over the last few days. Correct me, beat me, make my connection well.:bang head

Edit: Looks like an all in one box ain't that good.
I'm looking at this modem. Motorolla SB6141.
This router. Netgear N750.

Last edited:
Probably not. Just buying one would be better. Edited my first post for more specifics.

Looked up some reviews on that router, it's not reviewed very well at all.

Last edited:
Probably not. Just buying one would be better. Edited my first post for more specifics.

Looked up some reviews on that router, it's not reviewed very well at all.

not that it matters anymore but I have this modem/router and for me it works quite well.

anyway glad your solved ... :salute:

I'm a little late to the party but I thought I'd throw in my two cents for you. I have Cox as well and I ran into a problem with the DOCSIS 3.0's. I had to upgrade to a Motorola 6180
because the 6120 wouldn't work anymore. By wouldn't work, I mean it still had a connection but it wouldn't use channel bonding. Cox has been making some changes to
their system and no one at their end has been able to explain why the 6120 wouldn't work as it should, but it doesn't. Anyways, Motorola does make an AIO version which would
probably do the trick which is the version Cox is supplying now to their customers. I picked up my 6180 on Amazon for about 53ish bucks but it's just a modem not an AIO.

I wanted to throw some info your way since Cox is making changes to their infrastructure and rendering some components incompatible. I don't know if/when they're planning on
doing something like this in your neck of the woods but thought I'd share.

Okay, I bought stuff:

SB6121 Moto modem DOCSYS 3 basically

N750 WNDR4000 router

My speeds using local COX cable to server BEFORE were:

9.5 modem to router to PC, not wireless speeds, no idea on that
20 modem to PC, no router, not wireless "same"

New modem/router:
29. My max speed is 30. I have seen bursts higher. It's 8:30 PM so it's busy right now in my area.

Wireless on my IPhone 5 is fast (5G), and works thoughout my place no drops etc.

Wifes 2.4G on the IPhone 4 is plenty good.

Winner winner chicken dinner folks.

What a diff for my local traffic, pages load faster on the IPad mini (5G) (great for cooking when it's burning.)

Never knew my old setup was such crap. My 3rd router in 5 years, about the same for my modem.

Back