• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Q8200 hard to overclock on my MB, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mircea_sx

Hello! I upgraded my cpu for gaming to Q8200 (quad [email protected]) and now I try to overclock it, but it's imposible even touch the 2.5Ghz value; it freezes, won't boot, etc. I had first an E2160(@1.8; tooked it to 2,87; great oc:) I have 2*1gb dual chanel @667ghz. and and asrock g41m-s Mb. I saw other guys pushing the Q8200 @3.5, stable. Updated bios, good cooling....What do I have to do? Please help! Thank you in advance!

In order to hit 2.5GHz the FSB needs to be raised to 357MHz (357MHz x 7), which at a 1:1 FSB : DRAM ratio puts your RAM at an effective DDR2-714MHz, and is higher than what your modules are rated at. For a 3.5GHz clock you would have to raise the FSB to 500MHz, which equates to DDR2-1000 1:1 (166MHz above default). With the E2160 at 2.87GHz, the FSB was only at 318MHz (318MHz x 9), which at a 1:1 ratio only put the RAM at DDR2-636 (underclocked from the rated DDR2-667).

In order to hit 2.5GHz the FSB needs to be raised to 357MHz (357MHz x 7), which at a 1:1 FSB : DRAM ratio puts your RAM at an effective DDR2-714MHz, and is higher than what your modules are rated at. For a 3.5GHz clock you would have to raise the FSB to 500MHz, which equates to DDR2-1000 1:1 (166MHz above default). With the E2160 at 2.87GHz, the FSB was only at 318MHz (318MHz x 9), which at a 1:1 ratio only put the RAM at DDR2-636 (underclocked from the rated DDR2-667).

thanks for your answer!:salute: I admit i'm a begginer in oc. What the solution might be; i thought maibe is the MB Fsb 1333 mhz limit (and this time the Q8200 has 1333mhz too unlike the E2160)? I don't have a friendly bios; have the change the ram sticks, change the MB, change fsb pins positions on the MB(now they are on default)? I wold be very happy if there is a solution with the components I own because I don't have buget to buy new ones...:chair: sorry for my bad english

Don't replace the ram, 'cause even if you did, that motherboard has a hard-time going over 347mhz. To overclock your processor, the first thing you would need is another motherboard.

You would have been better to get a used Q6600 than the Q8200, if overclocking was a priority.

Don't replace the ram, 'cause even if you did, that motherboard has a hard-time going over 347mhz. To overclock your processor, the first thing you would need is another motherboard.

You would have been better to get a used Q6600 than the Q8200, if overclocking was a priority.

Thank you! I've heard of Q6600, after I bought the Q8200:D Could you recomend me the best budget MB for oc-ing this CPU, even older used one. I can keep the old Ram sticks?

If you replace the motherboard, you MAY have to replace the ram, depending on your overclocking goals. Ram speed is tied to FSB and since your ram speed is so slow, you will be overclocking it very quickly, which could be holding you back.

You want a board based on the P45 chipset. Asus P5Q series, Giga P45 UD3H.. both solid choices.

Like EarthDog says, the Asus P5Q series or ghe Gigabyte boards based on the P45 chipset is what you need. You might have a hard time getting one of these brand new, however you might be able to find one used. If you replace the motherboard, you will have to replace the ram. You might be able to find a good motherboard on EBay.

As for new motherboards, most, if not all of what is available now, would limit your cpu overclocking potential.

Last edited:
thank you all! The cheapest sollution is to sell my cpu and replace it with a Q6600 for now...but if I manage to get a p45 Mb, what's the reccomended frequency for the Rams (ddr2 and ddr3)? Have a great day!

With your Q8200, just to reach 2.8ghz, your ram would have to be able to do 800mhz ddr2.

My take would be to not sink any money on what you have. Wait a bit and replace motherboard, ram and cpu for newer technology.

With your Q8200, just to reach 2.8ghz, your ram would have to be able to do 800mhz ddr2.

My take would be to not sink any money on what you have. Wait a bit and replace motherboard, ram and cpu for newer technology.

I will listen to your advice, thank you! :)

Back