• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Very happy with 3770k OC on Noctua DH14

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
I am so completely surprised at the 3770k I just picked up on the egg.
Even more surprised with the Noctua DH14 air cooler.

I am going to keep it 24/7 at 1.27vcore and 4.5 GHz for its lifetime. I didnt even try and see and if will clock higher. I am pretty darn sure this will almost do 5.0 GHz on air, but I am very happy with my current clocks for a gaming/home office PC. Yes, I am using Prime95 for stability testing (all of the linx, and intel burn test people I know wht you are going to say) This is not a serious overclocking machine. I just want to put it at 4.5 and leave it here for the next 2/3 years so prime95 and 16 hours of blend will suffice. :)

*ALSO* Temps are lower because HT is DISABLED.

Getting average of around 63*C LOADED temps over the last 2 hours or so. I just opened up a new instance of prime95 after previously priming 2 hours at 4.4 GHz and 1.27v. The screenshot is 4.5 @ 1.27vcore.

Idle Temps - Average 22*C
Load Temps - Average 63*C after 2 hours 4.4 GHz, 1.27vcore
Cooling - Noctua DH14
3770k CPU
Asus Z77 Deluxe Mobo
Gskill Ares 2133 Cas 9 Ram 2 X4GB 8GB
Dual 6970's in Crossfire
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD

Attachments

• greattemps.jpg
    greattemps.jpg
    274.7 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:
Good stuff! :thup:

But why disable HT? Why not get a 3570k if you don't want to take advantage of 8 threads? :shrug:

Thanks bro!
Good question. First off. For me personally, mainly gaming purposes. I have done exhaustive testing over the years on hyperthreading on various platforms.(check out my post history) And for a purely gaming rig you will get 10*C ++ consistently cooler/better temps and consistently better overclocks, not to mention a sometimes better gaming experience with HT disabled.

so.....
Why did I buy a 3770k over a 3570k?
Two reasons. This is a LONG term build. Hoping to last me 2 to 4 years. More importantly I do a lot of audio editing and recording (ie: cubase, steinberg, encoding, etc etc etc) and I do occasionally use HT for video editing and running virtual machines so I would rather have it when I need it, than not have it. I would say 75% HT off for daily use 25% HT on for my usage over the course of a year. However, If I was building a gaming PC for someone and they insisted on ivy bridge, I would give them a 3570 with a better GPU for the same money.Hope that answers any questions you may have had.

Dom

Last edited:
Back