• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Blue Yeti Mic Occasionally Freezes/Crashes PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Twisted4000

Hello, About a month ago I got a Blue Yeti USB microphone, and ever since it's been having this really strange issue. Usually at least once a day, it will stop working. Of course, I'm only able to find this out when I open up an audio program such as Audacity and start recording. When I hit the record button it will say something along the lines of "Error opening audio device, check settings and try again". The only way I'll be able to fix it is to unplug and plug it back it, then it works fine again for a while. If I go to my recording settings in the control panel while the mic isn't working, the whole audio window freezes up and I have to exit out of it.

Sometimes as I'm starting up the computer, I'll get a blue screen of death or it will just freeze as Windows is loading up and I need to restart the computer and try again.

I also usually keep headphones plugged into the mic, which I use for certain programs, in case that means anything.

The only thing I haven't tried to do in order to fix this was a new cable, but I don't know if that will even make a difference.

Oh and just today, I touched the microphone and I accidentally shocked it with static electricity and it shut off on me, and when I unplugged and plugged it back in it started to work again, in case you wanted to know.

So yeah I want to know what's going on, this was a brand new mic and I dunno why it's acting up like this. My ASSUMPTION is that it's the cable, but who knows. I was wondering if anyone else knew. Thanks.

Oh and here's my system's specs if that was necessary at all.

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
CPU - Intel Q6600 Quad-Core @ 3.0GHz
RAM - 8GB of DDR3 RAM @ 1333MHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB
Storage - 1x 750GB SATA HDD (OS), 1x 160GB IDE HDD (both at 7,200RPM)
PSU - LSP650 Pro (650W)

could be that your USB is suspending after a certain time .. check your power settings and make sure all your drivers etc are up to date

could be that your USB is suspending after a certain time .. check your power settings and make sure all your drivers etc are up to date
I think the power settings are fine, but I will check into that anyway, and it doesn't require any drivers. Do you think trying a different cable could help, since it's suspending after a while? Perhaps a stronger connection is what it needs?

This is a really old thread, but I figured out why the microphone was doing this. It's whenever I had headphones plugged into it, it would occasionally cause problems like I explained. Ever since I didn't put the headphones in though, it's been totally fine. Not really sure why it's doing this in the first place, but whatever.

This is a really old thread, but I figured out why the microphone was doing this. It's whenever I had headphones plugged into it, it would occasionally cause problems like I explained. Ever since I didn't put the headphones in though, it's been totally fine. Not really sure why it's doing this in the first place, but whatever.

That doesn't work for me. I still get the freezing even without the headset plugged in. No clue why... dammit.

EDIT: Wow, what the hell? You know what fixed it? I unplugged my iPhone. Why would THAT have anything to do with it? And if I plug my iPhone back in, everything works fine. Weird!

Back