• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to overclocking? Actually Brand new. First try with a mild OC is this ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elcid79

Hello, everyone.

I have the system in my sig, first build in YEARS. Decided to get the overclock protection from intel, and play around with overclocking a little bit. I am not wanting to go very extreme yet. Still way to nervous about this.

Well this is what I did. I went into the bios and moved the multiplier up to achieve 4.1Ghz. That is ALL that I did on this first OC attempt.

It seems to run very stable with good temps Less than 60*C.

CPU VTT - 1.068Max
VCC is 3.344V

The question is, is this a "Safe" overclock. I sure think so but I want to be certain. Also, are there any really good beginners guides to taking this a little further, with manual voltage setting etc?

Thanks in advance.

J

Yup, that's safe. The worst thing that could happen from an overclock like that is a crash or a failure to boot. Either would be easily fixed by a reboot, and maybe a CMOS reset if needed.

First step is to make sure you know how to reset BIOS. Should be instructions in your manual. Failure to boot properly is the most common problem from bad overclock settings in BIOS. Reseting CMOS/BIOS gets it back to normal so you can start over.

After that you can increase vcore a bit, and keep playing with multiplier to see what crashes and what doesn't. You don't want to increase CPU volts much past 1.35V or so, depending on what temperatures you are running at. I don't think we actually have a comprehensive ivy bridge guide, but its pretty much the same as sandy bridge.

Default CPU Vtt is 1.050V, so I'm not sure what you mean by "CPU VTT - 1.068Max". And the VID for a 3570K is in the neighborhood of 1.12-1.15V or less on average, so I'm not sure where you got "VCC is 3.344V". At a 4.1GHz clock, Vcc shouldn't need to be set any higher than the VID.

I pulled all of that off of HW Monitor..... I will take a screenshot later.

This would be a good video to watch as it takes you through the UEFI Bios and explains how things work and what they actually do! So relax take your time and watch this 2 or 3 times to familiarizes your self with your new Bios on your motherboard OP. AJ. ;) :thup:

Use this as a basic guide to help you! ;)

Back